Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1590

  • la petite femme skunk fatale
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2004
      > I've been trying to buy a used bow
      > to start with on ebay, and they keep getting bid up awfully high. I guess
      > this is the wrong time of year for good deals.

      I would steer well clear of used bows on ebay. Case in point: we bought our daughter what we
      thought was a good used 30# recurve on ebay. When we received it, it turned out to have been badly
      fire-damaged on one end, and cut down from 62" to less than 54". Consequently, it had not much of
      a recurve to it when strung (brace height is barely 3"), and it pulls in excess of 45#. I will say
      that the cut-down job seems to have been expertly done - my local archery shop commented on it.
      But it was NOT the bow we thought we were getting, and it was a waste of good cash. Go to yard
      sales - you can handle it before you buy it and check for damage like splits, cracks and limb
      twist. Memorial day weekend is a great weekend to go yard-saling.

      Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
      Shire of Coldwood, EK

      =====

      Revolution begins with the self, in the self.

      Toni Cade Bambara