Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Netting

  • John Rossignol
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 2, 2004

      >My understanding is that the silk was worn next to the skin but
      >that armor was still worn. This might be either lacquered leather
      >or iron plates depending on what part of the cavalry the archer
      >was part of. The silk was supposed to minimize the damage
      >caused by any arrows that got through the armor.
      >
      >James Wolfden

      Yes, the silk helped, but probably not very much as armor. I have read
      that wearing silk tended to minize the chance that bits of fabric would
      be driven into the body in the event of a battle wound. It was quite
      common for the impact of a blade or an arrow (or, later, a bullet) to
      drive fragments of a warrior's innermost clothing into a wound, and
      these would remain there after the weapon was withdrawn. Unless removed
      surgically, they could cause even a minor wound to fester, resulting in
      slow healing, loss of a limb, or death. And in those days, of course,
      surgery of that nature was generally more dangerous than battle itself.

      Silk apparently was safer than most fabrics in this stuation, partly
      because it is stronger than cotton, linen, or wool, but mostly because
      it is made of long strands rather than short fibers -- they tend to part
      cleanly in one place as the weapon (or bullet) goes in, but remain
      attached to the garment rather than being broken or pulled off and
      driven into the wound. During the Napoleonic Wars, officers on all
      sides favored silk garments over cotton or linen for this very reason --
      it wasn't *only* vanity and ostentation.

      I don't actually know whether the Mongols understood the
      cause-and-effect relationship involved. They may have thought it was
      magic. I don't know how sophisticated they were about that sort of thing.

      And besides all that, of course, wearing silk underwear helped keep the
      Mongols warriors from freezing to death out there on the steppes, which
      is always an advantage in battle.

      John
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal