Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Netting

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 2 8:43 AM
      Interesting idea.

      On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 02:53 AM, Kinjal of Moravia wrote:

      > Of course. Yet I also wonder if the "belief that arrows would not
      > kill them" (arrows could be easily removed without festering wounds)
      > also provided an 'armor' of sorts.
      >
      > In a similar vein, I have come accross allusive references to a
      > cloak worn by ancient archers.

      What approximate area and time period was this?

      > It was attached to the left wrist
      > such that it hung down from the bow hand to form a 'shield'.

      In reading your below quote. I see another possible interpretation. It
      could be that the cloak was attached at the neck or shoulders in the
      normal fashion, and it was also attached to the bow had at the wrist by
      the gauntlet. this would cause it to hang in a more open position and
      cover more area, at least from arrows coming in from the bow arm side.
      A quilted cloak, like a quilted or padded jack, might provide more
      protection to cutting as long as it was light enough to still move upon
      impact.

      The gauntlet having a flail attached "To a gauntlet set with razor
      teeth and a flail of leather and steel." sounds like something I used
      to use with a pole arm. I had a small mace attached with a thong to my
      right wrist, so if anyone go in to close I would just grab it and swing
      or sometimes swing without grabbing. That would be a usable weapon.

      Jon

      > The
      > outside (enemy view) was patterned to give a false impression as to
      > the archer's form, while the inside (friendly view) was colored for
      > identification and protection from 'friendly fire'. Now I wonder if
      > the loose hanging drape might not have provided some actual physical
      > protection as well. I will have to experiment, and will certainly
      > make one to add to my garb.
      >
      > any help here from myth or stories??
      >
      > kinjal
      >
      > here is an excerpt from a ballad including the idea....
      >
      > "The Talon of Styria" (stair-ee-ah)
      >
      > All dread whispered him the Talon the Talon of Styria
      > None knew from whixt he faire came none dare ask of his destiny.
      >
      > Strong bound left arm was never seen for his cloak fastened at
      > the wrist
      > To a gauntlet set with razor teeth and a flail of leather and
      > steel.
      > No coward ever saw sword and lived his long reach hand was
      > never still.
      > Raven locks were woven with feathers but scarce hid quivered
      > arrows true.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6 12:06 PM
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal