Re: Netting

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      <gusarimagic@r...> wrote:
      > Apparently the 'swing effect' is
      > more important than material. Besides this looks just like
      wash
      > hung out to dry.
      >
      > Perhaps the Mongolian archer use of silk for armor was more
      > effective that we believe.
      >
      > kinjal

      Not if the "swing effect" is the most important aspect. The body of
      the archer would prevent the swing effect.

      My understanding is that the silk was worn next to the skin but
      that armor was still worn. This might be either lacquered leather
      or iron plates depending on what part of the cavalry the archer
      was part of. The silk was supposed to minimize the damage
      caused by any arrows that got through the armor.

      James Wolfden
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal