Re: The tipping of fletching on crossbow bolts ...

  • harry billings
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
      >From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>

      Sounds like straight offset to me, my single JoJann can do that.

      >Here is the situation ... I have found that I prefer bolts in my crossbow
      >that have just the slightest tip to them (1 degree? 2 3, *shrug* - A little
      >bit) ...
      >
      >Now I'm not saying I helix fletch them, but straight fletch them at just a
      >little bit of an angle.

      Don't know that it makes any difference try them each way and see.

      >Where my question lies is: When you start to tip your fletches, should
      >they be rotated from the middle of the fletch, or from the back of the
      >fletch (front would be hard, so I am ignoring it)

      Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
      Southern Reagional Archery Marshal
    • D Humberson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
        Siegfried,

        I have done both, and in the end the symmetry is the most important bit.
        The bolts I use for 40 yards and up are 3-fletch with a distinct cant, and
        they fly noticibly tighter. One thing I've learned is that flat fletches
        helecopter once in a while, usually just in time to mess up a good round. I
        use a Jo-Jann with some offset dialed into the rear bar, and they fly pretty
        good for me.

        When it gets serious, tho, I shoot a 2-fletch made for me by Greybar for 40
        and under( including rovers), and Graeme 3-fletch for long distance stuff.

        Ragnar Ketilsson

      • Karl Sandhoff
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
          I happen to use helical fletch on my bolts but I angle the fletching on
          my regular arrows just as you are asking about. With a good jig you can
          position the angle any way you wish. I tend to center the fletching but
          have tried just about every combination over the last 25 years and I
          don't think it really makes a difference as long as the fletches are all
          applied the same.
          Carolus von Eulenhorst

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.