Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Netting

  • Hugh Prescott
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2004
      The netting used at Pennsic is true archery netting.

      So far as I know the only manuacture is located in England.

      The American importer will only sell to Retail Dealers.

      Our family ownes and operates a large hobby shop in Quincy IL (100 miles
      North of St. Louis)

      We can and do order it and resell to any SCA group or person. Tax free if
      sold to an SCA Group.

      Comes in 10 x 10 foot sections at about $140 plus 10 pound UPS shipping to
      your address.

      Two or more sections can be joined to make walls. 10 x 20 is a nice size for
      3 Saunders 36 inch butts on tripods.

      Simple rope and 3/4 EMT conduit bipods support construction instructions
      included with each net.

      Nets must hang loose to allow the arrow to expend it energy by moving about
      a foot.

      Stops all arrows and bolts even 150 lb crossbow bolts.

      Lifetime of the netting is related to it's sunlight exposure (UV radiation)

      We have owned two 10 x 20's for about 6 - 7 years and are in good shape
      after about 20 days per year outdoor use.

      Hugh
      Calontir
    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal