RE: The tipping of fletching on crossbow bolts ...

  • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
      Greetings Siegfried,

      In my experience with regular arrows, it is as you surmised, it does not make much
      difference where the origin of the twist is as long as it is the same for all fletches.
      I have not done any bolts as yet, but I would think that there should be little
      difference. The reason for the twist is to give the arrow a little spin as it flies
      downrange. this helps it fly straighter. In fact, many fletching jigs have adjustments
      for just this purpose. My JoJan will let me move the front rest and the back rest
      independantly which will cause just the situation you describe. Move the front rest
      to pivot at the back, move the back rest to pivot at the front, and move both to pivot
      at the center. The only concern is when you are glueing the angled straight fletch down.
      Too much angle and the tips of the fletch will not be in solid contact with the shaft.
      You can compensate for this a little by pulling the ends of the fletch when putting it
      into the clamp, but this is why there are helical clamps. They hold the fletch properly
      for large angular bias.

      Yours in service to the Dream,

      Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
      Master of Archers
      Caid

      email: allan@...
      www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

      From sentto-259531-1477-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@... Tue Feb 01 11:57:38 2000
      To: sca-archery@onelist.com
      Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 14:57:03 -0500
      From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>

      From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>

      Here is a question for you bolt fletchers out there that I recently have
      been thinking about.

      This will be hard to explain through email, so if you want to help but
      can't understand, email me back, and I will see if I can draw up some
      pictures ...

      Here is the situation ... I have found that I prefer bolts in my crossbow
      that have just the slightest tip to them (1 degree? 2 3, *shrug* - A little
      bit) ...

      Now I'm not saying I helix fletch them, but straight fletch them at just a
      little bit of an angle.

      They seem to fly much nicer, especially at long distances . . .

      Now when you straight fletch a bolt, it tends to look like this from the
      back end:
      -O-

      Where my question lies is: When you start to tip your fletches, should
      they be rotated from the middle of the fletch, or from the back of the
      fletch (front would be hard, so I am ignoring it)

      Here are some very bad ascii drawings of exaggerated cases in an attempt to
      explain this (set your email client to mono-spaced fonts)

      Here is a side view of a bolt shaft, and a fletch straight on it ... the
      outer two lines are the edges of the shaft, the shorter line in the middle
      is the fletch ...
      | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | |

      Here is what 'tipping the fletch from the back' looks like
      | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | |

      Here is what 'tipping the fletch in the center' looks like
      | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |
      | |

      Now the answer to this may very well be: 'It doesn't matter silly, as long
      as you do the same thing on both sides, the bolt is symmetrical and turns
      out the same way ... just twist it a bit and you will see.'

      Siegfried

      Minister of Misinformation (Chronicler & Web Minister)
      http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org

      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
      Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

    • harry billings
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
        >From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>

        Sounds like straight offset to me, my single JoJann can do that.

        >Here is the situation ... I have found that I prefer bolts in my crossbow
        >that have just the slightest tip to them (1 degree? 2 3, *shrug* - A little
        >bit) ...
        >
        >Now I'm not saying I helix fletch them, but straight fletch them at just a
        >little bit of an angle.

        Don't know that it makes any difference try them each way and see.

        >Where my question lies is: When you start to tip your fletches, should
        >they be rotated from the middle of the fletch, or from the back of the
        >fletch (front would be hard, so I am ignoring it)

        Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
        Southern Reagional Archery Marshal
      • D Humberson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
          Siegfried,

          I have done both, and in the end the symmetry is the most important bit.
          The bolts I use for 40 yards and up are 3-fletch with a distinct cant, and
          they fly noticibly tighter. One thing I've learned is that flat fletches
          helecopter once in a while, usually just in time to mess up a good round. I
          use a Jo-Jann with some offset dialed into the rear bar, and they fly pretty
          good for me.

          When it gets serious, tho, I shoot a 2-fletch made for me by Greybar for 40
          and under( including rovers), and Graeme 3-fletch for long distance stuff.

          Ragnar Ketilsson

        • Karl Sandhoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
            I happen to use helical fletch on my bolts but I angle the fletching on
            my regular arrows just as you are asking about. With a good jig you can
            position the angle any way you wish. I tend to center the fletching but
            have tried just about every combination over the last 25 years and I
            don't think it really makes a difference as long as the fletches are all
            applied the same.
            Carolus von Eulenhorst

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.