Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Netting

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2004
      I tried using a truck cover once. You know those great big covers that go
      over the load on a dump truck so it doesn't blow out onto the road. Well
      now I know why those don't stop much of the debris from blowing out. It
      didn't even slow down the arrows, much less stop them. I had is strung up
      behind a target butt at 100 yards, hanging loosly, not attached at the
      bottom. Luckily the only thing I was trying to do was stop the arrows from
      going into the woods where they would be hard to find.

      Nest
      --- Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
      > I've used blankets on ranges before. Anything which gives when the arrow
      > hits it wil work fairly well. This means that you don't want to anchor
      > the
      > bottom of whatever you use.
      >
      > The webbing which you see at Pennsic traps the arrows in the webbing.
      > I'm
      > not sure who you would speak to regarding the webbing but I would assume
      > that the Pennsic staff who provides this service would have the
      > information.
      >
      > Brad
      >

      > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Netting
      >

      > >>"Kinjal of Moravia" <gusarimagic@r...> wrote:
      > >>I will finally be able to set up complete (and level) Royal Round
      > >>set up in my yard in Knoxville, TN next month. I will need a
      > >>Kevlar net or equivalent (old carpets??) Does anyone have a good
      > >>source or viable alternative?
      > >
      > >One of the Ren Faire groups I Shoot with uses free hanging furnature
      > >pads (they are a quilted blanket of sorts, that they hang by folding
      > >over wire rope held up between to posts. Seems to work pretty
      > >well. I have seen it stop arrows shot from 70# bows at 20 yards
      > >with no problems.
      > >
      > >Nad

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 6, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@p...>
        wrote:
        > The comment about being in constant motion, like giant birds.
        Makes me
        > think the cloak was attached to both wrists. That would give a
        bird or
        > bat wing appearance and would also provide protection from both
        sides.

        > Jon

        Perhaps, but a regular style half-circle doesn't work. I have been
        playing with some other styles (you probably guessed that)and have a
        prototype that seems to work - even found some material that sorta
        looks like feathers. I'll keep you posted off-line, or here if
        anyone else in interested. Actually it will be cool and servicable
        even if you are not an archer. And it will be semi-perod, being a
        modified Gallic Coat.

        kinjal