Parts and supplies

  • Conrad Crews
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25, 2004
      Greetings!

      I'm going to try my hand at making my own arrows and bowstrings.

      Can anyone give me the best source for:

      Shafts?
      Fletching?
      How-To Books?
      B-50 Bowstring line?
      serving and serving tools?
      etc
      etc
      etc

      Please feel free to respond privately to kd4aju@... if you
      don't want to post this stuff on the group.

      Thanks!
      Sean
    • RJ Bachner
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2004
        On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:50:07 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

        >Greetings!
        >
        >I'm going to try my hand at making my own arrows and bowstrings.
        >
        >Can anyone give me the best source for:
        >
        >Shafts?
        >Fletching?
        >How-To Books?
        >B-50 Bowstring line?
        >serving and serving tools?
        >etc
        >etc
        >etc
        >
        >Please feel free to respond privately to kd4aju@... if you
        >don't want to post this stuff on the group.

        Heya

        if ya want to be making yer own the best how to pages I can think of are at www.diy.brokenaxe.ca

        as for tool and supplies, where do you live? there may be some place close by to order from, if yer
        in canada I can direct you better.

        Herre Ragi "warm Bear" Wul├×arsson of the shire, Isle du Dragon Dormant.
        (Sometimes known as RJ Bachner)

        Northern shores, East Kingdom SCA.
        ragi@...

        Come visit the Archery diy Pages @
        www.diy.brokenaxe.ca
        and the shoppe @
        www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

        House of the broken axe.
        www.brokenaxe.ca
      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 29, 2004
          I usually get my supplies here in the states from either:

          Kustom King
          http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/

          or three rivers
          http://www.threeriversarchery.com/

          counting on what I want.

          Nest
          --- Conrad Crews <kd4aju@...> wrote:
          > Greetings!
          >
          > I'm going to try my hand at making my own arrows and bowstrings.
          >
          > Can anyone give me the best source for:
          >
          > Shafts?
          > Fletching?
          > How-To Books?
          > B-50 Bowstring line?
          > serving and serving tools?
          > etc
          > etc
          > etc
          >
          > Please feel free to respond privately to kd4aju@... if you
          > don't want to post this stuff on the group.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Sean

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • la petite femme skunk fatale
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
            I have used 3Rivers with great success, though they are a trifle on the pricey side, as are
            Lancaster Archery (http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/index.php).

            There's also Diana's Shaft Shop (http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Concourse/3586/)
            Native Way (http://nativeway.safewebshop.com/) for sinew and native stuff and really cheap cedar
            shafts (but be warned, many of the shafts will be unusable). Most of my sinew comes from a fellow
            archer who hunts deer.

            And, local to the Northern Adirondacks, where I go *before* I go online, there's Gordon's Bait &
            Tackle in Plattsburgh, who will order absolutely anything you need, Blue Line Sports in Saranac
            Lake, and Outfitter's Plus in Dannemora (buying weapon components under the shadow of the prison
            wall is an interesting experience).

            For full-size feathers, I go to the fellow who taught me to shoot and ask him for some more turkey
            wings and tails.

            Cesira,
            blinking in the bright sunlight and daily testing the snowy wet ground for good archery conditions.

            =====

            Revolution begins with the self, in the self.

            Toni Cade Bambara

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
          • kilmye@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
              Cesira,

              Thanks for the list. Maybe I should go to Cabella's, a big local place that
              has a large archery section, and figure out what would suit me. Then I can see
              what I can find in some of those shops you suggested. We are on a tight
              budget, and will be for the next year or two (and that's if things go well), but I
              want to get started anyway. Is there a particular kind of bow that is good for
              a beginner on a tight budget? I realize the cheapest bows are probably just
              going to make me hate archery. Where is the middle ground?

              Kiley

            • Greg Christensen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
                The main difference between B-50 and Fast Flight is the strength. Fast
                Flight is stronger and is will not streatch as much as B-50. ONLY use Fast
                Flight if your Bow is built for it. Hence reinforced tips. Check with the
                Manufacture. You use less Fast Flight for your string, but you will have to
                add some strands to the ends, and serving areas. It is also possible to
                double serve the middle in order to get the right thickness for the nock on
                the arrow to stay. Since string weight determines how fast your arrow go
                also increase your spine weight by at least five pounds if you use Fast
                Flight. Hence more ft per second hence flatter flight.

                In Service to the DREAM
                THL GREGGE the ARCHER

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
                  The cheapest way to go is with loaner equipment. Most groups active in
                  archery have a few bows and arrows they loan out. Get with your local
                  archery marshal if you decide to buy a used bow. Cheap bows are fine but
                  try to get the best arrows you can. If you can find a cheap wood/fiberglass
                  laminated bow in the 30-40 lb range it will be a good long lasting, shoot
                  everything the SCA shoots bow. A good fiberglass/wood laminated long bow in
                  the 50-60 lb range is next best. A cheap solid fiberglass will work but you
                  will want to change out of it in less than a year.

                  The key is to get shooting as soon as you can to find out what you like and
                  what works for you.

                  James Cunningham

                  > Cesira,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the list. Maybe I should go to Cabella's, a big local place
                  that
                  > has a large archery section, and figure out what would suit me. Then I can
                  see
                  > what I can find in some of those shops you suggested. We are on a tight
                  > budget, and will be for the next year or two (and that's if things go
                  well), but I
                  > want to get started anyway. Is there a particular kind of bow that is good
                  for
                  > a beginner on a tight budget? I realize the cheapest bows are probably
                  just
                  > going to make me hate archery. Where is the middle ground?
                  >
                  > Kiley

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 30, 2004
                    Since string weight determines how fast your arrow go
                    > also increase your spine weight by at least five pounds if you use Fast
                    > Flight. Hence more ft per second hence flatter flight.

                    Question: I have heard that it is the tip speed of the bow that determines
                    how fast the arrows go.

                    Of course that is effected mostly by bow design, bow tip weight, arrow
                    weight and string weight(in that order)and only a little by string streatch
                    and arrow spine.

                    James Cunningham
                    Wanting a Bow 403 class
                  • Daniel Slone
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2004
                      Hi,

                      I don't think it's as simple as either of these statements. All bow
                      designs are different: for example, my mongol replica has tip movement that
                      is mostly vertical, whereas my longbow throws them forward. If you think
                      about the geometry, the mongol will have faster string and arrow speed for
                      any given tip speed.

                      Also, _for a given bow_, a lighter string will send the arrows faster, but
                      this assumes you have not introduced stretch in the new thinner string.

                      Every bow is different depending on its exact design and construction, but
                      there are some generalities that you can count on for traditional bows.

                      All these contribute to higher arrow speed, starting with the most
                      important (IMO):

                      Higher draw weight (duh)
                      Longer draw length
                      bow tips that rest forward of the grip (detrimental to accuracy, though)
                      lighter bow tips
                      shorter limbs (again detrimental to accuracy and comfort)
                      lower brace height
                      less stretchy string
                      lighter string
                      Less hysteresis (sp?) in limbs

                      I think that's a pretty comprehensive list. Can anyone think of others?

                      Lu-shan

                      At 11:13 PM 3/30/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                      > Since string weight determines how fast your arrow go
                      > > also increase your spine weight by at least five pounds if you use Fast
                      > > Flight. Hence more ft per second hence flatter flight.
                      >
                      >Question: I have heard that it is the tip speed of the bow that determines
                      >how fast the arrows go.
                      >
                      >Of course that is effected mostly by bow design, bow tip weight, arrow
                      >weight and string weight(in that order)and only a little by string streatch
                      >and arrow spine.
                      >
                      >James Cunningham
                      >Wanting a Bow 403 class

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • roguenad2000
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                        <cunning@f...> wrote:
                        > Question: I have heard that it is the tip speed of the bow that
                        > determines how fast the arrows go.

                        Well, in part it does. A bow with lower mass (physical weigt) limbs
                        and tips will be able to return from the drawn position to the
                        undrawn position more quickly than an other wise itentical bow with
                        more mass (weight) in the limbs. Thus the arrow will fly off the bow
                        faster.

                        Also, you will find that bows with heavier tips tend to have more
                        hand shock as the bow tips slamm forward on release as compared to
                        an identical bow with less mass at the tips.

                        Nad
                      • Carl West
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                          roguenad2000 wrote:

                          > Also, you will find that bows with heavier tips tend to have more
                          > hand shock as the bow tips slamm forward on release as compared to
                          > an identical bow with less mass at the tips.

                          A heavy, slow bow will want heavier arrows to carry the energy away with them, thus reducing the handshock. I have such a bow, shooting ~500 grain arrows with it is just slightly more pleasant than hammering directly on my left hand. ~800 grain arrows are a joy.

                          _Most_ handshock problems are from too-light arrows. The rest are bad tillering.

                          -- Fritz

                          If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
                          will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

                          --
                          Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

                          "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.