[SCA-Archery] Guinness Speed Round

  • Seán Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2004
      Dear All,

      The Guinness Longbow Speed Round is fun and I always felt that it should
      stay fun, having participated it one similar in Northern Ireland.

      A few years ago, I was present at a BLBS shoot, the day after the main event
      there are usually 'fun' shoots, normal shoots but the emphasis is more in
      taking part and having fun, we still try and win, but losing is easier to
      take as it is 'fun'.

      One of the fun shoots was to see who could shoot twelve arrows the fastest,
      in reference to the English Archers of the Hundred Years war who could loose
      at least twelve a minute.
      We were all loosing like there was no tomorrow and the only things being
      loosed faster were our tongues and swear words.
      We were shooting into a 20 inch target at 20 yards and not doing very well
      until a member of the Irish Longbow team stepped forward and loosed twelve
      arrows in 14.3 seconds, all on target.
      We were all bringing our arrows to the bow, he simply placed all his arrows
      in the ground and brought to bow to them... a bit of lateral thinking at its
      best.

      Another such shoot was to try and get three arrows in the air at once, each
      shot singly... sounds easy...have a go at it.

      The point is, each archer has a round that he or she prefers, I personally
      prefer long distance like clouts, I dislike speed rounds unless I get to
      trash the targets (sorry Geileis) and I find that the harder and more
      challenging the round, the more excuses I have for not making it.

      I started out making a point but I think I just stuck it on the end of my
      arrow.

      Se�n the Archer

      Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro