Archery in English/Norse sagas

  • Mike O'Toole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2000
      I've just started reading through my new (to me) copy of Archery by
      Robert Elmer and have come across two quotations from Norse sagas
      without references to their origin.

      "King Harald warmed himself at the fire, and came with his back close to
      it. He was on his knees and stooped forward so low that the hind part
      of his thighs stood out. Palnatoki laid an arrow on his string and shot
      at the king, and the arrow hit the king straight between the thighs and
      came out his mouth. The king fell dead, as was to be expected."

      The second is about the victory of Harold of England over Harald of
      Norway at Stamford bridge;

      "The English horsemen rode around the array but, as soon as they came
      near, the archers of the Norsemen shot at them as fast as they were
      able. The English saw that they could effect nothing and rode back.
      The Norsemen thought were going to flee, and followed in pursuit; but as
      soon as the English saw that they had broken their shield-burgh they
      rode at them from all sides, shooting arrows and spears at them.

      "Then, as the English almost fled, Harald Sigurdarson was hit with an
      arrow in the throat so that a stream of blood gushed from his mouth;
      this was his death wound."

      If anyone recognizes these passages could you please point me in the
      correct direction of which sagas I should track down and read some more.

      Thanks,

      Michael O'Byrne
      Montengarde
    • Emil Stecher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
        --- Mike O'Toole <mike.otoole@...> wrote:
        > I've just started reading through my new (to me)
        > copy of Archery by
        > Robert Elmer and have come across two quotations
        > from Norse sagas
        > without references to their origin.
        >
        > "King Harald warmed himself at the fire, and came
        > with his back close to
        > it. He was on his knees and stooped forward so low
        > that the hind part
        > of his thighs stood out. Palnatoki laid an arrow on
        > his string and shot
        > at the king, and the arrow hit the king straight
        > between the thighs and
        > came out his mouth. The king fell dead, as was to
        > be expected."

        Apparently this is from the "Gesta Danorum" of Saxo
        Grammaticus. Apparently, Palnatoki is the Norse
        version of William Tell.

        > The second is about the victory of Harold of England
        > over Harald of
        > Norway at Stamford bridge;
        >
        > "The English horsemen rode around the array but, as
        > soon as they came
        > near, the archers of the Norsemen shot at them as
        > fast as they were
        > able. The English saw that they could effect
        > nothing and rode back.
        > The Norsemen thought were going to flee, and
        > followed in pursuit; but as
        > soon as the English saw that they had broken their
        > shield-burgh they
        > rode at them from all sides, shooting arrows and
        > spears at them.
        >
        > "Then, as the English almost fled, Harald
        > Sigurdarson was hit with an
        > arrow in the throat so that a stream of blood gushed
        > from his mouth;
        > this was his death wound."

        This would be Harald Hardrada's Saga, which at least
        used to be available,y in paperback from Penguin as
        King Harald's Saga.

        Barak Raz
        (Emil M Stecher)
        (gwrgi@...)

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael O'Byrne
        > Montengarde

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Mike O'Toole
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
          Thanks for the information. Appropriate notes have been made on yellow
          stickies and are now inhabiting the applicable pages.

          Michael O'Byrne
          Eagerly anticipating the arrival of his copy of the Bowman's Glory

          > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
          > Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
          Here</a>