Pieced shafts are 'Period'

  • Mike O'Toole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30 9:51 AM
      Hello All,

      I was just reading through Toxophilus again and remembered that there
      was a question of whether footed arrows were used in our 'period' and
      that someone had asked for the quotation by Ascham. It would appear that
      'footed' shafts were called 'pieced' in the Tudor period.

      "Piecing of a shaft with Brazil and holly, or other heavy woods, is to
      make the compass end heavy with the feathers in flying for the
      steadfaster shooting. For if the end were plump heavy with lead, and
      the wood next to it be light, the head end would ever be downwards, and
      never fly straight. Two points in piecing be enough, lest the moistness
      of the earth enter too much into the piecing, and so loose the glue.
      Therefore many points be more pleasant to the eye than profitable for
      the use. Some use to piece their shafts in the nock with Brazil or
      holly, to counterweigh with the head; and I have seen some for the same
      purpose bore a hole a little beneath the nock, and put lead in it. But
      yet none of these ways be any thing needful at all: for the nature of a
      feather in flying, if a man mark it well, is able to bear up a wonderful
      weight; and I think such piecing came up first thus : when a good archer
      hath broken a good shaft in the feathers, and for the fantasy he hath
      had to it, he is loth to lose it, and therefore doth he piece it."

      Page 121-122, Toxophilus, Simon Archery Foundation reprint 1985

      Michael O'Byrne
      Montengarde

      PS It would also appear that the 'HawkWind' shafts are also within the
      scope of SCA Period.