Self nocks-was Japanese bows

  • Don Goen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2000
      I would suggest instead of using power tools to use hand tools. If
      something starts to go wrong you have a chance to fix it before a shaft
      is ruined beyond use.
      For the initial cut I use a hacksaw with two blades taped together.
      Holding the shaft as vertical as one may, cut to a depth of
      approximately 2 1/2 times the diameter of the string. Some times the
      initial cut will end up a bit to one side or a little out of verticle.
      Either way I follow up with a file that is about the same diameter as
      the string. In this step you can center the nock, smooth the inside of
      the nock, and square the base of the initial cut with the edge of the
      file. At this point some folks like to use a round file for the string
      seat. I leave it flat. Follow up with some 220 grit to round the
      shoulders and do any fine tuning if needed.
      Just my way of doing it.........

      Damian >>~~~>
      Visit The Outlands Archery page at
      http://www.unm.edu/~kballar/archery/archgen.htm