Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Judging distances

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
      "L.J. Sparvero" wrote:

      > >My best and favorite technique is to look at the target and imagine
      > >throwing a rock at it. When you've done that, your body knows how far away
      > >it is. Then just shoot, the numbers don't matter, there is no need to
      > >consciously estimate the number of yards to the target. Just shoot it.
      > >
      > >-- Fritz
      >
      > You know, that makes an incredible amount of sense. My personal theory on
      > judging distances is that, as tool-using primates who once lived in trees,
      > our depth perception right in front of our faces is quite good. If you
      > misjudge the distance to that vine you're trying to leap to, then
      > *kersplat*! This helps for manipulating rocks and stuff within arms reach.

      read:
      http://williamcalvin.com/bk5/bk5ch8.htm

      For a couple million years, one of the selectors for our ancestors' survival was throwing ability. We have ballistics hard-wired. Archery is a specialized form of throwing. With practice, the modern human can tap into that ability that our ancestors used to survive.

      -- Fritz

      If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
      will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

      --
      Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

      "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.