Authentic looking targets

  • arthur_p_wiggle@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004
      Does anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the
      butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style
      such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available only
      in Europe.
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, arthur_p_wiggle@y... wrote:
        > Does anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the
        > butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style
        > such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available
        only
        > in Europe.

        You could check out www.sausa.com for their saunders matt.

        Now, what makes you think that this is a medieval-style design. I
        thought it was more victorian. Do you have a picture or anything that
        shows this style of target backing was done? It still looks good even
        if it is not strictly medieval.

        Another idea is to use ethafoam cut into a circle and cover it with
        burlap to hide the modern material.

        James Wolfden
      • Walter Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
          I agree with James on the Saunders butts. They are the most "period looking" target butts I've found. They have a web site. When our shire bought four of the butts direct from the company they gave us a price that beat anything I saw elsewhere. We bought four butts though. They might not discount for an individual who just wanted one butt.Oudoceus--- On Fri 03/05, jameswolfden < jameswolfden@... > wrote:From: jameswolfden [mailto: jameswolfden@...]To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:54:51 -0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Authentic looking targets--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, arthur_p_wiggle@y... wrote:> Does anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the > butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style > such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available only > in Europe.You could check out www.sausa.com for their saunders matt. Now, what makes you think that this is a medieval-style design. I thought it was more victorian. Do you have a picture or anything that shows this style of target backing was done? It still looks good even if it is not strictly medieval.Another idea is to use ethafoam cut into a circle and cover it with burlap to hide the modern material. James Wolfden---8<---------------------------------------------Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval MartGet Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/%5bEmail to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Walter Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
            Target butts are one thing. Does anyone know of a place that prints period target faces?Oudoceus --- On Fri 03/05, < arthur_p_wiggle@... > wrote:From: [mailto: arthur_p_wiggle@...]To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 05:50:24 -0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Authentic looking targetsDoes anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available only in Europe.---8<---------------------------------------------Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval MartGet Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/%5bEmail to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • J. Hughes
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
              While we have examples from late in period of painted
              faces, I have not encountered printed ones.

              Charles O'Connor
              --- Walter Davis <wdjr@...> wrote:
              > Target butts are one thing. Does anyone know of a
              > place that prints period target faces?Oudoceus
              > --- On Fri 03/05, < arthur_p_wiggle@...
              > > wrote:From: [mailto:
              > arthur_p_wiggle@...]To:
              > SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 05 Mar 2004
              > 05:50:24 -0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Authentic
              > looking targetsDoes anyone know where one could get
              > a target (not the face, the butt) that is of a
              > medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style such
              > as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found
              > available only in

              Europe.---8<---------------------------------------------Brought
              > to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval
              > MartGet Medieval at Mad Macsen's
              > http://www.medievalmart.com/%5bEmail to
              > this list]Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your
              > group on the web, go

              > to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*>
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
              > to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > removed]

              > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
              > Medieval Mart
              > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
              > http://www.medievalmart.com/

              > leave this list]
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
                Could you tell us where those painted examples are to be found? If the
                sources are available I would like to add them to my libary.

                Jon
                On Friday, March 5, 2004, at 05:18 PM, J. Hughes wrote:

                > While we have examples from late in period of painted
                > faces, I have not encountered printed ones.
                >
                > Charles O'Connor
              • LD.BLACKMOON
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2004
                  GREETINGS

                  >I agree with James on the Saunders butts. They are the most "period
                  looking" target butts I've found

                  AFTER SEARCHING THE NET , AND ANY OTHER SOURCE I COULD FIND .
                  THE BEST PRICE I COULD FIND WAS AT " NEW ENGLAND CAMP " THEY SUPPLY PLACES
                  LIKE GIRL / BOY SCOUT CAMPS, CHURCH CAMPS , ETC
                  http://www.ssgecom.com/scripts/wgate/xnec08c10261/~flNlc3Npb249UFJPRDE6UFJPRF9BR0FURTowMDAwLjAxNzQuNzMzMDQ2MmEmfmh0dHBfY29udGVudF9jaGFyc2V0PWlzby04ODU5LTEmflN0YXRlPTM2MjIuMDAxLjAyLjAy====?~okcode=PRHR&catalog=NECAMP

                  I KNOW ,ITS A LONG LINK , AND THEIR CATALOG IS IN .PDF FORMAT
                  ( IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THEIR ARCHERY STUFF IS PAGES 3 THRU 6 )
                  BUT THE PRICES MAKE IT WORTH WHILE .

                  OH, AND SAUNDERS MAKES EVERY ARCHERY BUTTE I COULD FIND, EVEN THOUGH THEY
                  ARE SOLD BY SEVERAL DIFFERENT COMPANIES, INCLUDING NEW ENGLAND CAMP, ( WHICH
                  HAD THE BEST PRICE ) I WAS ABLE TO GET A 36 " BUTTE FOR LESS THAN I COULD
                  FIND THE SMALLER SIZE BUTTE ANYWHERE ELSE ..
                  AND IT STILL SHIPPED FROM SAUNDERS .
                  >They might not discount for an individual
                  TRUE , I ORDERED THE BARONIES BUTTE AS THE ARCHERY MARSHAL , AND NOT AS AN
                  INDIVIDUAL..

                  BE SAFE, BE HAPPY HAVE FUN
                  LD.BLACKMOON
                • arthur_p_wiggle@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7, 2004
                    It's not that I have any period sources showing this style butt,
                    which is why I said period "looking". The only period picture I've
                    really seen of targets looks like a huge woven basket-type thing. I
                    don't expect to be able to find anything like that though. Just
                    thought that those straw spiral butts did a good job of looking the
                    part. Thanks for the feedback. What do you know to be a period
                    style for targets?
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden"
                    <jameswolfden@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, arthur_p_wiggle@y... wrote:
                    > > Does anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the
                    > > butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil
                    style
                    > > such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available
                    > only
                    > > in Europe.
                    >

                    > You could check out www.sausa.com for their saunders matt.
                    >
                    > Now, what makes you think that this is a medieval-style design. I
                    > thought it was more victorian. Do you have a picture or anything
                    that
                    > shows this style of target backing was done? It still looks good
                    even
                    > if it is not strictly medieval.
                    >
                    > Another idea is to use ethafoam cut into a circle and cover it with
                    > burlap to hide the modern material.
                    >
                    > James Wolfden
                  • Walter Davis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2004
                      I know what kind of butt you are talking about. There was a gentleman in a nearby group that was from the UK. His company had transferred him to the states and had shipped all of his belongings here. He had one of the butts like you describe. It really does look "old fashioned". It's probably a design that has been used for a long time. When this gentleman was recently transferred back home he donated the butt to his group. His company discovered that it would be cheaper to simply replace the target butt rather than ship it to the UK. Too bad these butts aren't available here. They do look good!Oudoceus --- On Sun 03/07, < arthur_p_wiggle@... > wrote:From: [mailto: arthur_p_wiggle@...]To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 03:36:35 -0000Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Authentic looking targetsIt's not that I have any period sources showing this style butt, which is why I said period "looking". The only period picture I've really seen of targets looks like a huge woven basket-type thing. I don't expect to be able to find anything like that though. Just thought that those straw spiral butts did a good job of looking the part. Thanks for the feedback. What do you know to be a period style for targets?--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" wrote:> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, arthur_p_wiggle@y... wrote:> > Does anyone know where one could get a target (not the face, the > > butt) that is of a medieval-style design? Like a straw coil style > > such as the Egertec and Lyons Butts that I have found available > only > > in Europe.> > > You could check out www.sausa.com for their saunders matt. > > Now, what makes you think that this is a medieval-style design. I > thought it was more victorian. Do you have a picture or anything that > shows this style of target backing was done? It still looks good even > if it is not strictly medieval.> > Another idea is to use ethafoam cut into a circle and cover it with > burlap to hide the modern material. > > James Wolfden---8<---------------------------------------------Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval MartGet Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/%5bEmail to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this list]Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                          Sorry it took a while to get back, but I had a
                          regional archery practice this weekend.

                          You can find a discussion and some pictures in Anna
                          Braun's _Historical Targets_ published in English by
                          Roydon Publishing Co of London. It gave me and my
                          archers ideas for more period targets.

                          Charles O'Connor
                          --- John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
                          > Could you tell us where those painted examples are
                          > to be found? If the
                          > sources are available I would like to add them to my
                          > libary.
                          >
                          > Jon

                          http://search.yahoo.com
                        • Mike O'Toole
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 9, 2004
                            If I remember correctly almost all of the targets in that book were post
                            SCA period and targets for use with guns.

                            It is an interesting book, but don't buy it if you are looking for
                            period examples of archery targets.

                            Michael O'Byrne

                            --
                            mike.otoole@...
                            ---
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 10, 2004
                              There are many out of period targets, and some very
                              interesting in period targets. There are also pictures
                              of ranges and a discusion of the shooting guilds which
                              had their heyday at the end of period (though some
                              still exist today).

                              I got it on Inter Library Loan. Buying is not the only
                              option.

                              Charles O'Connor

                              http://search.yahoo.com