Re: [SCA-Archery] Article on judging distances

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      "L.J. Sparvero" wrote:

      > For those who do roving ranges
      >
      > "Perceiving distance accurately by a directional process of integrating
      > ground information" is in this week's issue of Nature magazine, page 73

      This link worked for me:
      http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v428/n6978/abs/nature02350_fs.html
      even though I'm not registered, I only get the first paragraph, but it _is_ interesting.

      > One practice method I've found (other than shooting like mad at unknown
      > distances) is to take a walk with my archery tape measure. I'll mark the
      > spot where I'm standing, and make my best guess at some terrain feature.
      > I'll then measure the distance, and see how far off I've gotten. Most of my
      > guesses do turn out to underestimate the range.

      My best and favorite technique is to look at the target and imagine throwing a rock at it. When you've done that, your body knows how far away it is. Then just shoot, the numbers don't matter, there is no need to consciously estimate the number of yards to the target. Just shoot it.

      -- Fritz

      If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
      will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

      --
      Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

      "Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.