Re: [SCA-Archery] Siegfired Needs Argumentation

  • blkknighti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 4, 2004
      Here's some gasoline for the fire...
      A true recurve has a curvature of the limb so that the string rests against
      the limb at the curve.
      If the limb is curved but the string does not rest against the limb it is a
      "reflexed" limb not a recurve.
      Bows of the Mongolian or Hun type are not, strictly speaking recurved limbs,
      but "levered" limbs and in some configurations the string straddles the
      levered portion of the limb but does not rest against it. Where do these fit?
      In the case of a "true recurve", I have never seen nor been quoted period
      documentation of its use. I have been exposed on many occasions to period
      documentation of the "reflexed" type as described above, often being referred to as
      "recurves". On some, only the tip of the bow was curved back in the immediate
      area of the nock.
      True English longbows have a set of characteristics which make them ELB (as
      outlined by the English Longbow society).
      Yet there were other configurations of the longbow which don't fit into that
      strict scheme but are period.
      And then there were flatbows, composites, bows with backing or laminations,
      and of course the Crossbow.
      All of which shooting characteristics would vary and in certian competitions
      hold an advantage over another.
      After being throroughly reminded that the SCA is a "fun" and "inclusive"
      group there still seems to rise a bit of a conundrum even beyond the
      classification of each configuration or whether a modern Fiberglas limbed recurve has an
      advantage over a self Longbow or is even remotely periodesque........ It seems
      what is fun for some is inequitable for others and vice versa. And, as I've
      been told it doesn't have to be fair... "that's just the way its done!"

      Being Argumentative (a little) and donning my flameproof undies.
      Richard

      In a message dated 3/4/04 3:32:54 PM, chaderin@... writes:

      << Poor, poor Siegfried. Here, I will offer something for you argue for

      or against: "Recurves should never compete directly Longbows, it is

      just unfair!"

      Now, keep in mind, that I don't necessarily believe that, but I have

      heard it said and seen it written by other people.

      Argue away.

      -Caedmon

      *smirk* >>
    • Bob Upson
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10, 2004
        On 2 Mar 2004 at 16:39, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

        > The rules for RR's state that you can shoot as many in a day as you wish, but
        > only one may be submitted per day. In theory, if you had time to shoot 10 rr
        > scores, then you could. And thus, have your highest score submitted.

        FWIW, the "rules for RRs" vary from kingdom to kingdom. I believe
        that there are (or at least have been) some that require the archer
        to declare that a given round is for their daily score *before* it is
        started.

        YIS,
        Macsen