Re: [SCA-Archery] Question on shoots

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 3, 2004
      >Now I don't intend to be argumentative, just picking you minds, but don't you
      >all see a problem with the "best choice" score method that Nest illustrated
      >in the SCA?

      Ummm, no ... it's just another type of shoot. There are lots of them.

      >Don't you think it only serves to falsely boost the "scores"?

      No, not really, Its just a different kind of score. It's showing your
      potential, not 'one shoot'. Also, if done in a one day timeframe, it can
      show your endurance!

      In those senses, its no different than:
      Taking the SAT - don't like your score, take it again!
      Fighting in a bear pit tournament - The more you fight, the better you can do

      etc.

      >Don't you think that it is inequitable to the consistant shooter?

      No, because if someone is 'inconsistantly' really good, or really bad, then
      on a 'single shoot', the consistant shooter has just as much chance of
      being beat hard into the ground anyway.

      Plus, I don't know anyone like that. Yes, sometimes people are more
      sporatic, but you are usually talking within a 'small range'. AND, usually
      it varies day-to-day. If you are having a bad day, you are having a bad
      day kinda thing.

      It also is a huge 'goodness' to the 'scared'/'meek'/'nervous' archer ...
      who doesn't have to worry about choking once ... they can always try again.

      In that sense, it encourages more shooting, which is always a good
      thing! Heck, it even encourages the good shooters to shoot more (as per
      the description of 'he got more, guess I gotta shoot it again')

      >Perhaps an average of the round shot would be a better way?

      Well, and that's sorta how the Royal Round tends to work in most
      kingdoms. Shoot it again and again, all you want over the years ... but
      it's your best 3 scores that average together to count within the last year.

      However, it's not how the IKAC or Winter challenge works. Keep shooting
      all you want, and the highest counts.

      >Why are there no mundane shoots that are offered that way?

      I would argue that there are ...

      I have heard of mundane walk-through shoots being set up at big archery
      shows where you can shoot the course as many times as you wish, and they do
      give a prize for the highest score.

      Also, unless I am mistaken, I think the biggest example of this would be
      the olympic qualifying. You can shoot at as many tournaments as you wish
      throughout the year, and if at least one of these tournaments you score
      higher than 'x', then you are invited to try out for the olympic
      team. Same idea.

      Actually I think the main reason no mundane shoots are offered that way, is
      that mundane shoots tend to be very LONG shoots with many arrows fired, and
      fired at an extremely slow pace. For example, it takes the better part of
      a day to shoot a york round, especially if you are taking 30 seconds to 1
      minute per shot. Add to this many archers at the shoot wanting to do so
      ... and it becomes a very long day. There isn't time to shoot it twice
      that day.

      Siegfried

    • Bob Upson
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 10, 2004
        On 2 Mar 2004 at 16:39, Chad and Erin Wilson wrote:

        > The rules for RR's state that you can shoot as many in a day as you wish, but
        > only one may be submitted per day. In theory, if you had time to shoot 10 rr
        > scores, then you could. And thus, have your highest score submitted.

        FWIW, the "rules for RRs" vary from kingdom to kingdom. I believe
        that there are (or at least have been) some that require the archer
        to declare that a given round is for their daily score *before* it is
        started.

        YIS,
        Macsen