Jinete Simulation

  • peterson476ce
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004

      thanks for all the feedback. As for the locative information that
      I left out last time, (mundanely) I live in Lancaster County, PA,
      i.e., Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom.

      J. Hughes wrote:"...as a hook is the most probable spanning
      devise for mounted crossbow in Spain, get and use a hook." I had
      suspected that I should use a belt-hook since seeing them in my
      somewhat large collection of Osprey Men-at-Arms series books; I
      can "indirectly document" (an oxymoron, I know) the use of belt-hooks
      in late medieval western Mediterranean lands. But getting beyond
      Angus Macbride, the rather talented illustrator in this series, I do
      not know what is the specific shape of belt-hooks that I should be
      aiming for. Then again, I probably do not need to be terribly
      specific, I guess, I just need to get practicing with what I can
      afford and find right away.

      Bruce R. Gordon wrote:"If you like, I could have some of the folk
      who know this or that on the subject contact you." Yes, that would be

      Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:"First thing to do is research the types
      of crossbows used by the warriors you have in mind. I am not well
      versed in the Iberian cultures but the more northern cultures seemed
      to use a short crossbow without a shoulder stock. Compares to a
      conventional crossbow as a riot gun does to a shotgun....Did these
      horsemen shoot from horseback or did they operate more as dragoons
      riding to their position, dismounting, fighting on foot, and
      remounting to move again?...You mention a torso sized centre boss
      shield. This requires the use of your hand to hold and control and
      would therefore not be used by a bowman who needs both hands to
      control his weapon." As for research on types of C-bows, I have to
      admit that other than the above mentioned Osprey books, my main
      reference would be a series of conversations I had with the merchant
      that I bought the C-bow from (master Iolo of New World Arbalest).
      According to his research, Iberian C-bows of 15th and 16th centuries
      tended to be less curvy, shorter and generally stockier than say
      Austrian or Swedish C-bows of the same era. He also showed me some
      pictures from museums abroad, including close-ups of just how
      insanely decorative the stocks could be when you are Carlos I/Charles
      V of the Holy Roman Empire, for example. As for tactical
      considerations, my theory is that on the central plains of Spain,
      such as Castilla la Nueva and Extremadura, the jinetes would loose a
      volley before melee-distance contact could be established and then as
      they would turn around and return to the rear (to reload), then the
      close-range fighters would close in, with javelins first. In the
      mountainous battle-terrain that is common in most of Spain, (Navarra,
      Andalucia, et cet.) the dragoon aspect would be especially effective
      as guerilla snipers as part of an ambush through mountain passes. As
      for the adarga, in two-dimensional terms, it looks a lot like two
      eggs were smushed together with the narrow ends pointing down. This
      is an all-leather shield that does not have a boss, of any kind, in
      the centre, but does typically have about 4-6 tassels hanging on the
      outside, just where a boss would be on say a Viking shield. On the
      inside, there are either leather straps or ropes (that translate into
      the tassels on the other side) that form the handle (not a wooden or
      metal one) that I suspect is adjustable to switch from arm-size to 4-
      finger-size by a combination of technique and tension. Also, northern
      European shields would be used with less emphasis on deflecting blows
      of any kind than this type. I have always seen the adarga being in
      an almost edge-on position when in use, to give the maximum
      deflective effect against incoming missiles including javelins and
      lances. While I can not directly document adargas being ever used
      with crossbows, I also think that factors such as their lightness,
      angulation, and even that there is large notch at the top (as well as
      bottom, resulting from their two-dimensional shape) could
      speculatively be conducive to allowing for an adarga to be strapped
      on the right elbow, right hand supporting the fore-part of the stock,
      and left hand on the trigger. I have a crossbow, what I need to prove
      my theory is an adarga.

      Sinceramente suyo, m.k.a. Robert Peterson.