Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Sources for information...

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2004
      Greetings,
      For the absolute beginner in laminated bows, try any of the old
      "Popular Mechanix" plans and magazines published in the 1960's.
      There was a collection of these articles peblished in encyclopedia
      format in the early-mid 1960's (which I own) andin the "A's" under
      archery, there are plans and step by step photographs showing the
      process of building a wood and glass laminate recurve. This was a
      project that I did with my father in the mid 60's and the bow turned out
      well. I have sinced used this article as reference in helping others
      along the way in building and repairing wood glass laminate recurves.
      Fortunatly for me, there is a local Bowyer (since retired) that I
      used to visit who built a few bows for me. He made mostly longbows, but
      he also made recurves. I still shoot a 70" reflex/deflex longow 72#@27"
      that he made for me that was specifically designed for fast-flite
      string. He would invite local archers that he was building bows for into
      his shop to work with him during the process to accustom them to all
      that went into making a bow. It was a wonderful education.
      Unfortunately, his eyesight failed a few years ago and he stopped making
      bows. It was quite an education. Many bowyers are open to taking on
      assistants and showing the process.
      Probably the two best shooting lami bows that I've had made for me
      were made by Herb Meiland and Bill Matlock. I spent many hours on the
      phoe with each of them sending them drawings and measurements of the
      type of bow I wanted. The bow that Bill Matlock made for me is a
      reflex/deflex longbow that when strung looks like a deflex bow. The
      riser is small and rounded and doesn't appear to have a riser at all. At
      first glance, it looks like a traditional D-section longbow because of
      the way in which he chose the lami woods and with a couple of lighter
      lami's on the back under the clear glass that looks like sap wood. This
      bow is 68" and draws at 76#@27" and sends a 620 grain arrow at speeds
      over 200fps.
      A few ofthe larger bow makers do offer workshops at certain times
      during the year. Any interested party should check them out.
      I get very nervous when I hear a person approachig bowmaking with
      haste. You need a clear idea of exactly what you are doing with all of
      your parts and equipment before you begin. Then follow the plans exactly
      with a great deal of patience. Making a self bow can be done on the fly
      with a careful eye towards not taking too much wood off and tillering
      many times. But masking a lami bow is sort of like rocket science (well,
      backyard rocketry anyway :) ), you need to have a firm plan and a lot of
      patience.
      -Geoffrei