Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1542

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2004
      Look for responses to your individual questions interspersed
      > Message: 7
      > Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:33:50 -0800
      > From: John Rossignol <giguette@...>
      > Subject: Need advice about crooked arrows
      > (SNIP)
      > Is it unreasonable of me to be a bit annoyed by this?

      I would be highly annoyed. I would also put the word out (which you are doing here)
      > 2. How hard is it to straighten wooden arrows? The seller briefly
      > described two methods:
      > 1) warm over steam and roll under the hand on counter top.
      > 2) compress the wood into shape by rubbing the outside of the
      > "bend".

      Both of those are valid methods. 3 Rivers Archery sells a couple of different tools to straighten arrows.
      > 3. Is a wooden arrow that has been straightened ever really as good as an
      > arrow that has never been crooked in the first place? In my
      > experience, once something gets bent it is almost impossible to get it
      > really straight, and it gets bent again, or breaks, easily. If you start making your own stuff, you will find that bundles of shafting often have several that need a little straightening (or even sometimes a lot). Proper tools and technique, followed by sealing the shaft and storing it properly (vertical rather than horizontal) go a long way to minimizing problems. I have not noticed any real difference between shafts I have straightened versus those that needed no attention.
      >
      > 4. Are "premium" arrows sometimes made with shafts that were not straight,
      > and are then straightened before sale? Or are they always made from
      > straight shafts?

      Sorry, I was too poor to afford store bought when I started and found I liked fletching my own, so I can't answer this. Maybe Fritz or another person who builds arrows for sale can respond to this.

      Padraig MacRaighne
      Forester of the Greenwood