Article on Classical-era artillery development

  • L.J. Sparvero
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10 11:26 AM
      Greetings fellow Toxophiles,
      There's a short article on Classical military artillery technology, and the
      role engineers and scientists had in the ancient arms race, in the Feb
      6 issue of Science (S. Cuomo, 303,(5659) p.771-2). Non-subscribers can
      access it at http://www.sciencemag.org/ They mention the Greek "belly bow"
      -- the earliest known Western crossbow.
      How does this relate to target archery? There's mention of the designers
      of catapults having a table of relations to design weapons with
      predetermined power. As in, if they know that a lever arm of X size had a
      certain amount of power, then they could look on a table to scale it up to
      a size of Y to get twice as much power.
      One would think that this fact was re-discovered in Europe by
      crossbowmakers sometime in the early Renaissance or late Middle Ages, but
      I'm drawing a blank exactly when and where the earliest known documentation
      is. Ascham mentions something similar as I recall for longbows, but I'd
      really like to see if there's something earlier than that.
      -Lyev
    • J. Hughes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10 11:32 AM
        Leonardo da Vinci did an illustrated study on the
        dynamics of his crossbows.

        Charles O'Connor
        --- "L.J. Sparvero" <lyev@...> wrote:
        > Greetings fellow Toxophiles,
        > There's a short article on Classical military
        > artillery technology, and the
        > role engineers and scientists had in the ancient
        > arms race, in the Feb
        > 6 issue of Science (S. Cuomo, 303,(5659) p.771-2).
        > Non-subscribers can
        > access it at http://www.sciencemag.org/ They mention
        > the Greek "belly bow"
        > -- the earliest known Western crossbow.
        > How does this relate to target archery? There's
        > mention of the designers
        > of catapults having a table of relations to design
        > weapons with
        > predetermined power. As in, if they know that a
        > lever arm of X size had a
        > certain amount of power, then they could look on a
        > table to scale it up to
        > a size of Y to get twice as much power.
        > One would think that this fact was re-discovered in
        > Europe by
        > crossbowmakers sometime in the early Renaissance or
        > late Middle Ages, but
        > I'm drawing a blank exactly when and where the
        > earliest known documentation
        > is. Ascham mentions something similar as I recall
        > for longbows, but I'd
        > really like to see if there's something earlier than
        > that.
        > -Lyev

        > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
        > Medieval Mart
        > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.medievalmart.com/

        > leave this list]
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • Robert Lauderdale
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10 1:10 PM
          At 02:26 PM 2/10/04 -0500, you wrote:
          >Greetings fellow Toxophiles,
          > There's a short article on Classical military artillery
          > technology, and the
          >role engineers and scientists had in the ancient arms race, in the Feb
          >6 issue of Science (S. Cuomo, 303,(5659) p.771-2). Non-subscribers can
          >access it at http://www.sciencemag.org/ They mention the Greek "belly bow"
          >-- the earliest known Western crossbow.

          <snip>

          the full url is http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/303/5659/771

          Chidiock
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11 10:12 AM
            Konnichi wa, tomodachi,
            As many of you may know, I am a student of combat kyujutsu technique...
            I have seen video of some people drawing, nocking, and shooting
            (western style) from shoulder quivers (notably, my old friend from
            this list, Herr Fritz) and they have quite impressive times...
            I wonder what kind of timing people have achieved with hip mounted
            ebira (Japanese style hip quivers)...(With an Asian style draw...)

            Herr Fritz has helped me much - but i would like input as to what
            other people are doing with speed and various other quivers...

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu
            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
            http://www.kabutographics.com (under reconstruction)
            kabuto@......