Re: [SCA-Archery] Talhoffer and Mounted Crossbowman

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
      Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
      definitely out on our line.
      Carolus

      On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero" <lyev@...>
      writes:
      > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
      > known
      > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
      >
      > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
      > close
      > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
      > of
      > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
      > the bow
      > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
      > bolt fits
      > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
      > (and
      > would be worse on horseback).
      >
      > -Lyev

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Ian Griffen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2004
        Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in Atenveldt.

        Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
        Deputy Royal Archer
        Kingdom of Atenveldt

        writes:
        > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
        > known
        > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
        >
        > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
        > close
        > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
        > of
        > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
        > the bow
        > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
        > bolt fits
        > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
        > (and
        > would be worse on horseback).
        >
        > -Lyev

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
          Please extrapolate on what your "safety issues" are. Which ones would not
          allow this type of shoot? Are they the same for handbow as well? I am sure
          you have an interested audience.

          James Cunningham

          > Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in
          Atenveldt.

          > Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
          > Deputy Royal Archer
          > Kingdom of Atenveldt
          >

          > Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
          > Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
          > definitely out on our line.
          > Carolus
          >
          > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero"
          > writes:
          > > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
          > > known
          > > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
          > >
          > > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
          > > close
          > > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
          > > of
          > > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
          > > the bow
          > > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
          > > bolt fits
          > > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
          > > (and
          > > would be worse on horseback).
          > >
          > > -Lyev
        • Mike Wertz
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Ian,
            It would be period to have him flogged for disrespect. I think he is
            copying my "audience" routine. And he is disrespectful of your position.
            Anybody "period police" out there with some period punishment suggestions
            to get us through this cold winter night?

            Teagus Kohen

            At 05:53 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, you wrote:
            >Please extrapolate on what your "safety issues" are. Which ones would not
            >allow this type of shoot? Are they the same for handbow as well? I am sure
            >you have an interested audience.
            >
            >James Cunningham
            >
            > > Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in
            >Atenveldt.
            > >
            > > Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
            > > Deputy Royal Archer
            > > Kingdom of Atenveldt
            > >

            > > Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
            > > Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
            > > definitely out on our line.
            > > Carolus
            > >
            > > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero"
            > > writes:
            > > > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
            > > > known
            > > > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
            > > >
            > > > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
            > > > close
            > > > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
            > > > of
            > > > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
            > > > the bow
            > > > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
            > > > bolt fits
            > > > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
            > > > (and
            > > > would be worse on horseback).
            > > >
            > > > -Lyev

            >Yahoo! Groups Links