Re: [SCA-Archery] Talhoffer and Mounted Crossbowman

  • L.J. Sparvero
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4 6:54 AM
      My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had known
      there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!

      I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a close
      target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots of
      safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point the bow
      as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the bolt fits
      snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise (and
      would be worse on horseback).

      -Lyev
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4 10:52 AM
        Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
        definitely out on our line.
        Carolus

        On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero" <lyev@...>
        writes:
        > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
        > known
        > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
        >
        > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
        > close
        > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
        > of
        > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
        > the bow
        > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
        > bolt fits
        > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
        > (and
        > would be worse on horseback).
        >
        > -Lyev

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Ian Griffen
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4 10:05 PM
          Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in Atenveldt.

          Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
          Deputy Royal Archer
          Kingdom of Atenveldt

          writes:
          > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
          > known
          > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
          >
          > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
          > close
          > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
          > of
          > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
          > the bow
          > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
          > bolt fits
          > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
          > (and
          > would be worse on horseback).
          >
          > -Lyev

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5 2:53 PM
            Please extrapolate on what your "safety issues" are. Which ones would not
            allow this type of shoot? Are they the same for handbow as well? I am sure
            you have an interested audience.

            James Cunningham

            > Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in
            Atenveldt.

            > Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
            > Deputy Royal Archer
            > Kingdom of Atenveldt
            >

            > Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
            > Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
            > definitely out on our line.
            > Carolus
            >
            > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero"
            > writes:
            > > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
            > > known
            > > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
            > >
            > > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
            > > close
            > > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
            > > of
            > > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
            > > the bow
            > > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
            > > bolt fits
            > > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
            > > (and
            > > would be worse on horseback).
            > >
            > > -Lyev
          • Mike Wertz
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5 6:26 PM
              Ian,
              It would be period to have him flogged for disrespect. I think he is
              copying my "audience" routine. And he is disrespectful of your position.
              Anybody "period police" out there with some period punishment suggestions
              to get us through this cold winter night?

              Teagus Kohen

              At 05:53 PM 2/5/2004 -0500, you wrote:
              >Please extrapolate on what your "safety issues" are. Which ones would not
              >allow this type of shoot? Are they the same for handbow as well? I am sure
              >you have an interested audience.
              >
              >James Cunningham
              >
              > > Do to the safety issues, this would not be allowed on any of the ranges in
              >Atenveldt.
              > >
              > > Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
              > > Deputy Royal Archer
              > > Kingdom of Atenveldt
              > >

              > > Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
              > > Considering some safety issues I have had here in Caid, this would be
              > > definitely out on our line.
              > > Carolus
              > >
              > > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:54:08 -0500 "L.J. Sparvero"
              > > writes:
              > > > My short article is now uploaded into the files section, if I had
              > > > known
              > > > there was interest I would have gotten it up sooner!
              > > >
              > > > I've considered a shoot where the crossbowmen have to shoot at a
              > > > close
              > > > target with the crossbow pointed *behind* them, as described. Lots
              > > > of
              > > > safety issues though -- need to be careful what direction you point
              > > > the bow
              > > > as you load it! What seems to work best is if the tail end of the
              > > > bolt fits
              > > > snugly into the roller-nut. Really hard to steady the bolt otherwise
              > > > (and
              > > > would be worse on horseback).
              > > >
              > > > -Lyev

              >Yahoo! Groups Links