Mounted Crossbowmen (was When did recurves appear in Britain?)

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 75 , Feb 3, 2004
      The article, "How a mounted crossbowman could defend
      himself from a Lancer" by Don Lyev Davidovitch
      appeared in the Jan 2004 issue of the AEstel. I have
      posted an illustration from Talhoffer in the photo
      section of the group site.

      Charles O'Connor

      --- "Karl W. Evoy" <kweancel@...> wrote:
      > I missed that one; which issue was it?
      > Ancel

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • gawinofkevelioc
      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, mwertz@f... wrote:
        > > Hold on. I thought yumi's were very non-sym in design? Longer
        upper
        > limb,shorter lower limb. English longbow is more sym in design. That
        > would make the yumi specific to horse archery. Apples and
        oranges......
        > Wonder what the production man hours were for one english
        longbow/one
        > mongol composite bow/one yumi.(low end munitions grade).
        >
        > In Sane,
        > TK
        >

        > > Wow! Someone needs to tell the Japanese that longbows aren't
        effective
        > > from horseback. Have you ever seen the length of those Yumi
        bows? Check
        > > it out on The Last Samurai.Oudoceus--- On Tue 01/27, < mwertz@f...
        > > > wrote:From: [mailto: mwertz@f...]To:
        > > SCA-Archery@y...: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:15:39 -0500
        > > (EST)Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: When did recurves appear in
        > > Britain?Did not the French get their butts kicked because genoese
        > > crossbowmen cutand ran due to "wet strings"? Operator error.>
        Chidiock,
        > > when you wrote: "For military purposes, such> a bow would be
        inferior
        > > to a good longbow," you seem> to forget that the recurve (or
        crossbow
        > > for that> matter) is a lot better for mounted archery. Longbow> is
        > > great when massed on the defensive in a major> battle. But there
        are
        > > real limitations in other> military situations....>> I am
        > > reminded when a Welsh Lady friend of mine came> back from a trip
        over
        > > there with the comment "you can> not shoot a longbow from
        Caernovan
        > > Castle's> battlements. I pointed out Edward I was using> crossbows
        > > from the battlements, the longbow was in the> hands of the
        attackers
        > > (who, I did not need to remind> her, lost).>> Charles
        > > O'Connor>> __________________________________> Do you Yahoo!?>
        > > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!>
        > > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>>
        > > ---8<---------------------------------------------> Brought to you
        > > YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart> Get Medieval at Mad
        > > Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/>> [Email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links>> To visit your group on the web, go to:>
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/>> To unsubscribe from
        > > this group, send an email to:>
        > > SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>> Your use of Yahoo!
        Groups
        > > is subject to:>
        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>>---8<-------------------------
        this
        > > group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@y... use of
        > > Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        list]

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >

        > >I can tiller a "D" long bow from a stave to a shootable bow in
        less than an hour using period tools, a horn and sinew compsite takes
        9mo to a year using period glues and methods
        Gawin