Another holy cow at which to shoot, target faces. :-)

  • Mike O'Toole
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hi all,

      I was reading through Grimley's The Book of the Bow, and noticed the
      earliest reference I have found to the "modern" target face composed of
      four concentric rings with gold at the centre and red the next ring.
      The passage is on page 95 and quotes the rules for the shoot held on 14
      May 1673.

      "... The Lancashire Bowmen held their meetings weekly, and it was on
      14th May 1673, that the first shoot for the Silver Arrow at Scorton in
      Yorkshire was held. This Match is still held annually. 'Such person,'
      said the Articles, Rules and Regulations of the first meeting, 'as in
      his due order and place, shall first pierce or break the Captain's
      prize, or any part thereof with his arrow, that is to say, so his arrow
      shall be within the circle, dividing between red and gold, shall have
      the Silver Arrow from the rest, and shall be esteemed and adjudged
      Captain of the Archers.' The target contained four rings 'aptly
      distinguished with colours, wherof the innermost circle being gilded or
      yellow, shall be for the Captain's prize.' Shooting was at 100 yds.,
      two dozen arrows being shot, two arrows at each end."

      Interestingly enough the same page also has the earliest reference to a
      "curse jar" I have seen:

      "... by a clause in their rules that 'if any one of them shall that day
      curse or swear in the hearing of the Company, and the same be proved
      before the Captain and Lieutenant, he shall forthwith pay down one
      shilling, and so proportional for every oath; to be distributed by the
      Captain for the use of the poor...'

      Some things never change, eh?

      Michael O'Byrne

      --
      mike.otoole@...
      ---
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2004
        AAhhh! What were the measurements of the rings?? 100 yrds at a 40cm target
        is nuts. 60cm ..........maybe. No that's insane also.

        Brad

        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Another holy cow at which to shoot, target faces. :-)