Re:neolithic longbows

  • agincort@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      > The longbows of the late neolithic and those of the Hundred Years Wars

      > are virtually identical in construction as are those of the US south
      during
      > reconstruction (demonstrated by archaeological remains, Ascham,
      > Markham, and [forgot author name] The Witchery of Archery).
      > Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Well, almost. As I recall, the bow Otzi made was a yew heartwood bow, and
      medieval longbows (and our recreations) are yew bows constructed
      including the sapwood. Not a lot of difference, perhaps, unless you're
      building one. Arwenna and I went to a lecture (a year or so after the
      find) at the Cleveland Museum of Natural Science by the Austrian Dean of
      the Medieval dept. (university forgotten) who was with the original
      research team - he described how his contact (an English traditional
      bowmaker - I think) had told him that Otzi's bow was unfinished, probably
      not shootable, since it had no riser at the middle, nor did it have
      string nocks cut. We thought that opinion questionable, as we have seen
      other options. He was unwilling to discuss it, unsurprisingly.
      Now I only need to find some viburnam (his arrows).
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Take thou no scorn to wear the horn; It was a crest ere thou wast born"
      - As You Like It