Re: [SCA-Archery] When did recurves appear in Britain?

  • Karl W. Evoy
    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 27, 2004
      Just a couple of points on this thread:

      1) The Romans scattered auxilliai (sic) around western Europe, many of
      which where armed with composite recurves.
      Later, tribes of Federote were also scattered around. Some. notably the
      Alans, were similarly armed. In fact, by the 8th century, the Alans went
      from bow-armed catafracti and horse archers to spear armed shock cavalry,
      with a formatable reputation. The prevaling weather is cited as the cause.
      As has been noted by others on this thread, the damp weather of northwestern
      Europe is not condusive to the development of composite bows. Certainly the
      Europeans knew how to make them, at least by the later 12th and 13th
      centuries. But their use seems to have been restricted to crossbow. I
      suspect the nature of their construction made it easier to waterproof them.
      Similar meathods were used the later steel crossbow prods.

      2) Concerning the French archers in the latter part of the 15th century,
      they in fact had a terrible reputation. One source states they were only
      good for stealing chickens. Sometime in the early 16th cenury, the French
      king Either Charles or Francis, I can't remember which, scrapped the idea,
      and gathered whatever "Francs Archers" were left, and started a training
      camp to turn them into pikemen. In both the Bourdeaux campaign in general,
      and the battle of Castillon in particular, the real winner for the French
      was the field artillery, recently developed by a pair of brothers, and made
      with royal funding. Also the French finding ways of defeating the English
      without charging straight into the rain of arrows. (only took the a century
      or so, but they eventually learned).
      The French did field competent companies of crossbowmen, mostly
      recruited in Gascony, by independent contract. These saw use in the early
      part of the Italian Wars, and eventually converted into Arqubus companies to
      suppliment the ex-Francs Archer pikemen.
      Ancel

      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, mwertz@f... wrote:
        > > Hold on. I thought yumi's were very non-sym in design? Longer
        upper
        > limb,shorter lower limb. English longbow is more sym in design. That
        > would make the yumi specific to horse archery. Apples and
        oranges......
        > Wonder what the production man hours were for one english
        longbow/one
        > mongol composite bow/one yumi.(low end munitions grade).
        >
        > In Sane,
        > TK
        >

        > > Wow! Someone needs to tell the Japanese that longbows aren't
        effective
        > > from horseback. Have you ever seen the length of those Yumi
        bows? Check
        > > it out on The Last Samurai.Oudoceus--- On Tue 01/27, < mwertz@f...
        > > > wrote:From: [mailto: mwertz@f...]To:
        > > SCA-Archery@y...: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:15:39 -0500
        > > (EST)Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: When did recurves appear in
        > > Britain?Did not the French get their butts kicked because genoese
        > > crossbowmen cutand ran due to "wet strings"? Operator error.>
        Chidiock,
        > > when you wrote: "For military purposes, such> a bow would be
        inferior
        > > to a good longbow," you seem> to forget that the recurve (or
        crossbow
        > > for that> matter) is a lot better for mounted archery. Longbow> is
        > > great when massed on the defensive in a major> battle. But there
        are
        > > real limitations in other> military situations....>> I am
        > > reminded when a Welsh Lady friend of mine came> back from a trip
        over
        > > there with the comment "you can> not shoot a longbow from
        Caernovan
        > > Castle's> battlements. I pointed out Edward I was using> crossbows
        > > from the battlements, the longbow was in the> hands of the
        attackers
        > > (who, I did not need to remind> her, lost).>> Charles
        > > O'Connor>> __________________________________> Do you Yahoo!?>
        > > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!>
        > > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>>
        > > ---8<---------------------------------------------> Brought to you
        > > YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart> Get Medieval at Mad
        > > Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/>> [Email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links>> To visit your group on the web, go to:>
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/>> To unsubscribe from
        > > this group, send an email to:>
        > > SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>> Your use of Yahoo!
        Groups
        > > is subject to:>
        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>>---8<-------------------------
        this
        > > group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@y... use of
        > > Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        list]

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >

        > >I can tiller a "D" long bow from a stave to a shootable bow in
        less than an hour using period tools, a horn and sinew compsite takes
        9mo to a year using period glues and methods
        Gawin