RE: [SCA-Archery] elbow bruise was:Re: Arm Guard Suggestions

  • Talmon Parker
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 26, 2004
      You can cure the string burn in large part by changing your grip on the
      bow. If you can learn to draw the bow with the knuckle closest to the wrist
      directly be hind the bow grip, it will tend to pull your elbow out of the
      line of the string. It takes some practice, but it will work. Try to take
      about a half pull, and then turn your palm flat with the groung. It is
      almost imposible to get your arm in front of the string. You will be drawing
      thru the top knuckle, or so it seems. Try holding onto your fore finger like
      you would the bow. Then turn your palm horizontal to the ground, this will
      show you what I mean.

      Good luck Tamon

      DER BARON

      >From: "izzy" <redbaronx71@...>
      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] elbow bruise was:Re: Arm Guard Suggestions
      >Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 05:30:55 -0000
      >

      > > I need to get an arm guard. While I haven't adopted a specific
      > > timeframe yet (new to SCA), I do enjoy the aesthetics of
      >equipment.
      > > I'm interested in getting an attractive (possibly leather) arm
      >guard
      > > that comes up a bit higher than my elbow (that's where the large
      > > bruise I earned yesterday ends). Can anyone point me in the
      > > direction of a good internet store or store in the Pittsburgh
      >region
      > > that would carry something like this?
      >
      >Actual archery stores (as opposed to places like Gander Mountain)
      >will have the longer arm guards.
      >
      >way back twenty some years ago at the age of twelve when i was brand
      >new to archery, i was told that women (strictly based on anatomy, not
      >tendency to bad form) tend to hyper-extend their elbows, which is the
      >cause of your bruise (and many of my own just like it). So, yes, get
      >the longer arm guard, but also maybe make a conscious effort to keep
      >your elbow in. it will keep the string truer...
      >
      >actually, if your string is deflecting so much against your elbow,
      >that might be a part of your aiming problem, more so than eye
      >dominance...? something to think about!
      >
      >izzy

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      High-speed users´┐Żbe more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet