When did recurves appear in Britain?

  • auwg
    Message 1 of 75 , Jan 26, 2004
      Just researching loosely for an upcoming book.
      When did recurve bows first appear in Britain?
      and...
      How were they made? (from what wood, by what process, etc)
      and... possibly of equal importance...
      How were they received by military archers who'd always used straight-
      stick bows?
      Please RSVP here at this group and share your info with all.
      I'm set for 'no email'.
      Thank you,
      Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
      Science Fiction and Semi-Fiction
      http://abintrapress.tripod.com
      http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=author&ai=10823&id=9592
    • gawinofkevelioc
      Message 75 of 75 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, mwertz@f... wrote:
        > > Hold on. I thought yumi's were very non-sym in design? Longer
        upper
        > limb,shorter lower limb. English longbow is more sym in design. That
        > would make the yumi specific to horse archery. Apples and
        oranges......
        > Wonder what the production man hours were for one english
        longbow/one
        > mongol composite bow/one yumi.(low end munitions grade).
        >
        > In Sane,
        > TK
        >

        > > Wow! Someone needs to tell the Japanese that longbows aren't
        effective
        > > from horseback. Have you ever seen the length of those Yumi
        bows? Check
        > > it out on The Last Samurai.Oudoceus--- On Tue 01/27, < mwertz@f...
        > > > wrote:From: [mailto: mwertz@f...]To:
        > > SCA-Archery@y...: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:15:39 -0500
        > > (EST)Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: When did recurves appear in
        > > Britain?Did not the French get their butts kicked because genoese
        > > crossbowmen cutand ran due to "wet strings"? Operator error.>
        Chidiock,
        > > when you wrote: "For military purposes, such> a bow would be
        inferior
        > > to a good longbow," you seem> to forget that the recurve (or
        crossbow
        > > for that> matter) is a lot better for mounted archery. Longbow> is
        > > great when massed on the defensive in a major> battle. But there
        are
        > > real limitations in other> military situations....>> I am
        > > reminded when a Welsh Lady friend of mine came> back from a trip
        over
        > > there with the comment "you can> not shoot a longbow from
        Caernovan
        > > Castle's> battlements. I pointed out Edward I was using> crossbows
        > > from the battlements, the longbow was in the> hands of the
        attackers
        > > (who, I did not need to remind> her, lost).>> Charles
        > > O'Connor>> __________________________________> Do you Yahoo!?>
        > > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!>
        > > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>>
        > > ---8<---------------------------------------------> Brought to you
        > > YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart> Get Medieval at Mad
        > > Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/>> [Email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links>> To visit your group on the web, go to:>
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/>> To unsubscribe from
        > > this group, send an email to:>
        > > SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>> Your use of Yahoo!
        Groups
        > > is subject to:>
        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>>---8<-------------------------
        this
        > > group, send an email to:SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@y... use of
        > > Yahoo! Groups is subject to:http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        list]

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >

        > >I can tiller a "D" long bow from a stave to a shootable bow in
        less than an hour using period tools, a horn and sinew compsite takes
        9mo to a year using period glues and methods
        Gawin