Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1509

  • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2004
      > Message: 12
      > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:25:38 GMT
      > From: eulenhorst@...
      > Subject: Re: Weighted Strings
      >

      > Not urban legend. I've seen it happen with bows not designed for Kevlar
      (no longer available), FastFlite, and similar materials. Most bows made
      since the mid
      '70's have been designed for these high efficiency string materials,
      however so there
      shouldn't be much danger in using them. For self bows, non-fibreglas or
      carbonglas bows,
      or other home builts stay with Dacron.

      > In Service to the dream
      > Carolus von Eulenhorst
      > eulenhorst@...

      Interestingly enough, after building my hickory-backed laminated yew bow
      in a class given by relatively famous bowyer, he provided a string for
      it made from Vectran. About 12 threads of the stuff, makes it a very
      thin string. It just flat won't ever stretch.

      I asked him about this, because it goes against everything I've learned
      and heard, and he just said "been putting these on my bows for 5 years
      now, without a problem".

      I'm guessing the fact that it's laminated that allows the string to be
      used. I wouldn't use it on a selfbow.

      Godwin