Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1502

  • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      >>Greetings everyone,
      >>
      >>I hope you all had a lovely holiday season.
      >>
      >>I gave someone a quiver for a present. It is a very nice leather quiver,
      >>but unfortunately the black dye on the leather is rubbing off on
      >>everything. does anyone know what we can do to it to stop this happening?
      >>
      >>Nest

      What I do on my tooling leather after the dyeing and appropriate drying
      period, is give it a good rub down with sheep wool. I've gotten lots of
      remnants of sheep skin from Tandy leather, and it works great to rub the
      leather down with. The wool extracts most of the residual dye, and the
      natural lanolin content in the wool also helps out the leather. Give the
      leather a good hard rub.

      Godwin
    • Godwin fitzGilbert de Striguil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        > Message: 17
        > Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:10:14 -0800 (PST)
        > From: Ian Griffen <ian_griffen_archer@...>
        > Subject: Looking for links
        >
        > Greetings all
        >
        > I am looking for a couple of links for Flemish Twist strings (3 ply).
        >
        > And Self Nock Arrows
        >
        > Thank you in advance
        >
        > Ian Griffen.

        There is an article on the basic self-nocked arrow, at the current
        Primitive Archer online:
        http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/selfnock.html

        I've made several dozen myself, and I keep learning with each new batch :)

        A couple of other links:
        http://web.tampabay.rr.com/dholden1/string.htm

        http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

        http://www.rope-maker.com/bowstrings.html

        There is possibly some articles in:
        http://www.tradbow.com/

        As far as the 3 ply is concerned, it braids the same way the 2-ply
        would, just spreading the poundage across more strings so each ply would
        be smaller.

        Any specifics?

        Godwin
      • Mike Wertz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          www,kingslayer.com
          SCA-Kingslayer@yahoogroups.com
          SCA-Kingslayer-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enter at your on risk.

          At 03:13 PM 1/3/2004 -0700, you wrote:
          > > Message: 17
          > > Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:10:14 -0800 (PST)
          > > From: Ian Griffen <ian_griffen_archer@...>
          > > Subject: Looking for links
          > >
          > > Greetings all
          > >
          > > I am looking for a couple of links for Flemish Twist strings (3 ply).
          > >
          > > And Self Nock Arrows
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance
          > >
          > > Ian Griffen.
          >

          >There is an article on the basic self-nocked arrow, at the current
          >Primitive Archer online:
          >http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/selfnock.html
          >
          >I've made several dozen myself, and I keep learning with each new batch :)
          >
          >A couple of other links:
          >http://web.tampabay.rr.com/dholden1/string.htm
          >
          >http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html
          >
          >http://www.rope-maker.com/bowstrings.html
          >
          >There is possibly some articles in:
          >http://www.tradbow.com/
          >
          >As far as the 3 ply is concerned, it braids the same way the 2-ply
          >would, just spreading the poundage across more strings so each ply would
          >be smaller.
          >
          >Any specifics?
          >
          >Godwin

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2004
            If you just want to buy an arm guard online there are a couple of sites
            which sell quite a selection of them.

            http://www.3riversarchery.com/

            http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=2&DID=6

            Are 2 of them. The first has more than the second.

            Nest