  • allan@KERSHAW.usc.edu
    Message 1 of 47 , Jan 19, 2000
      Greetings Lorenzo
      from Phelan of Penguinroost in Caid

      I have been shooting a longbow for about ten years. Aiming has always been a concern
      both for myself and those who I am trying to teach. There are several techniques that
      can work depending on the individual archer. The first, and most difficult, is to
      aim 'instinctively'. This relies on the archer knowing their body very well and
      lots of practice. Here the archer focuses on the center and the body reacts to put the
      arrow where they are looking. A good analogy is basketball shooting. How do you aim
      at the hoop? You focus on the hoop and with practice, your body reacts so that the
      ball goes in. This technique is not reccommended for beginners unless they have lots
      of patience and are willing to shoot several hundred arrows per day in practice.

      The 'point of aim' method is better for beginners. This is what you are trying to teach
      to your students when you tell them to aim down the shaft. There are several points
      to be aware of when you are teaching this method. The first is the archer's paradox
      problem. With most longbows, the arrow rest is not on center with the line of the bow.
      This means that the arrow is not actually pointing at the target. When released, the
      arrow will flex and actually move into the center line and follow that path to the target.
      This is the paradox. The accuracy of this is very dependent on the spine or flexibility
      of the arrow. If the arrows are very stiff (overspined), then they will not flex and
      will hit to one side of the target. The looking down the shaft method will be more
      effective under these conditions. If underspined, they will wobble all the way to the
      target with loss of accuracy. Appropriate spined arrows are best. When aiming, have them
      use just the point and not the shaft as described below.

      The next step is the archer's eye dominance. When shooting, the archer should be relaxed.
      Squinting one eye does not help being relaxed. When relaxed, both eyes should be open.
      Now each person will use one eye more than the other. To determine eye dominance, have
      the archer close one eye and then block the target from the open eye by holding his thumb
      up at arms length. Open the closed eye. If the target is still blocked, then the archer
      is dominant in the open eye, if the target becomes visible, then he is dominant in the
      closed eye. If the archer is eye dominant opposite his handedness, (i.e. right hannded,
      left eye dominant) you might want to have the archer consider switching hands. I was
      forced to do this due to an injury. It took about two months before I was comfortable
      shooting left handed, but my accuracy at multiple distances increased greatly.

      Now to point of aim. What I do is look at the tip of my arrow and place it at the center
      of the target. On release, I watch where the arrow strikes the target and adjust the
      placement of the tip accordingly. If the hit is high and to the right, I will move the
      placement down and to the left JUST A LITTLE. Small changes of position will have large
      effects at the target. This offset can be quite large, depending on the bow weight and
      the anchor position of the arrow. I use a 50# longbow and anchor at my chin. The string
      just touches my nose, so I have several reference points for repeatibility. At 20 yards,
      my aim point will be on the ground about 10 feet in front of the bales. At 40 yards,
      my aim point will be the blue ring at 6 o'oclock. If I anchor at my cheek, the vertical
      component will be closer to center, but the horizontal will shift some. Each archer will
      need to practice and try several different points until they find one the is comfortable
      and workable for them. Below is a crude diagram on how this works. As I move the aim
      point closer to the target, the aim will angle up and go for longer distances.

      | Eye
      | Arrow flight ....O
      | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <----
      | .... Arrow
      .... Point of aim path
      Point of aim ....

      Hopefully this has clarified some of your points without increasing your confusion.
      Success with your teaching endeavors.

      Yours in service to the Dream,

      Lord Phelan of Penguinroost
      Master of Archers

      email: allan@...
      www: www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bench/6931/

      From sentto-259531-1394-allan=KERSHAW.usc.edu@onelist.com Wed Jan 19 10:36:54 2000
      To: sca-archery@onelist.com
      Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:38:10 -0500
      From: Lorenzo <detoma@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Aiming with a longbow

      From: Lorenzo <detoma@...>

      I have a question regarding aiming with a longbow. Oftentimes, beginners
      who are starting out with a longbow complain that when they are sighting
      using the shaft of the arrow, they find themselves aiming way to one
      side or another of the target in order to get their arrows near the
      middle. I assume this is because of the archer's paradox problem, but
      since I don't have a longbow, I really don't know if it's true, or more
      importantly, how to instruct people on the best way to aim if they have
      this question. Any help would be appreciated.

      - Lorenzo

      This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall
      of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom
      [SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@... to leave this list]
    • John R. Edgerton
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 18, 2013
        I am considering modifying the crouch so the archer only has to crouch while aiming and releasing. They may stand while nocking and drawing.

        "lynn.palmieri" <lynn.palmieri@...> wrote:

        I like the challenge overall.  My only concern would be for those of us with damaged knees.  I personally am unable to crouch and hold that position to shoot.  Getting up and down of the ground is challenging, but doable, however it may depend on the state of the ground (i.e. fine dirt or mud vs. grass).  I know you said it would be the marshal’s choice, but these two options may need to be used as last resorts?  Just my $0.02.