Re: [SCA-Archery] [was: Winter Challenge] MIT Classes

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
      Greetings
      Answered privately, but as long as it got sent to this newsgroup,
      any other Midrealm regionals - think about this. MIT classes might be a
      good way to help build numbers, hmm? Talk to me, send me ideas.
      To those of you in other kingdoms, what have been your experiences
      with MIT symposia and the like? Good, bad, indifferent, nonexistent? I
      personally teach an inspection course at Pennsic that has had good
      reviews - what's the relative value of classroom vs on-the-field
      experience?

      Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG

      > Nigel,
      >
      > I want to keep you informed on something we will be doing in the Oaken
      > region. The Fenix area has been lacking marshals for some time-
      Vicount Sir
      > Myles is the only marshal they have. Myles wants to develope more
      marshals
      > in the area and came up with a plan for a series of classes/archery
      > practices for training MIT's. Being a knight/former kingdom Earl
      Marshal,
      > he talked directly with Duke Palymar about this; Palymar gave
      permission to
      > run the sessions with the requirement that I pre-aprove the class
      content
      > and that I be an active participant in the instruction. I am willing
      to do
      > this; Myles will post the classes in the Fenix newsletter-he expects
      to get
      > 3 to 5 MIT's.
      > Are there specific elements that you want in the classes? I will
      round up
      > other marshals so that the signatures will come from more than just
      Myles,

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux

    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
        In Caid, a class is part of the requirements to get your Range Marshal
        warrant. I get very good turnout and feel it really helps promote
        archery. Among other things, being a requirement forces it to be offered
        as part of most formal class groupings and it gets press in the course
        schedule helping keep archery in the common eye. It also helps make
        those in decision making positions aware of our continuing activities.
        Carolus

        On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:36:44 -0500 "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>
        writes:
        > Greetings
        > Answered privately, but as long as it got sent to this
        > newsgroup,
        > any other Midrealm regionals - think about this. MIT classes might
        > be a
        > good way to help build numbers, hmm? Talk to me, send me ideas.
        > To those of you in other kingdoms, what have been your
        > experiences
        > with MIT symposia and the like? Good, bad, indifferent, nonexistent?
        > personally teach an inspection course at Pennsic that has had good
        > reviews - what's the relative value of classroom vs on-the-field
        > experience?
        >
        > Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Talmon Parker
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
          This from an old player in all kinds of games.
          How about teaching the newbe's to make jigs and stuff so they can make thier
          own equiptment. A flemish string jig is cheap an easy and will save the
          archer money in the long run. A continous loop jig is a little more work to
          make but,as long as they can count they can turn out a useable string.
          A bow stringer can be made out of a longer bow string, just don't serve the
          loops too tight at the ends. A piece of linoleum tube will make a fairly
          good quiver,and once again a EXTRA bow string will make a serviceable belt.
          These are just a few things off the top of my head, It's a lot more fun to
          make your own stuff for building your play toys.
          Here in south Texas we shoot all year long, in fact during the hot
          summer months we don't even start practicing till about 4pm, because it's
          still liight at 8:30 or 9:00 and you can still find your arrows.
          Hope you have lots of particapation in you classes....
          Baron Talmon Wilbanks
          Shire of Gates Edge
          Ansteorra

          DER BARON

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
> [...]

            >to do
            > > this; Myles will post the classes in the Fenix newsletter-he expects
            >to get
            > > 3 to 5 MIT's.
            > > Are there specific elements that you want in the classes? I will
            >round up
            > > other marshals so that the signatures will come from more than just
            >Myles,
            > > Dorinda, and me-James, Ernie, Caedmon, and Erin should all be
            >available. If
            > > this works out, it may be a tool to increase marshals in other areas
            >where
            > > we are lacking. If I had known about this before the fact, I would
            >have
            > > made sure it went by the proper chain of command; as it is, I will
            >make sure
            > > that the MIT's earn their signatures and that all the bases are

            Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
            http://wine.msn.com
          • roguenad2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
              <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
              > In Caid, a class is part of the requirements to get your Range
              Marshal
              > warrant. I get very good turnout and feel it really helps promote
              > archery.

              Speaking as someone who took the Range Marshall class that Carolus
              teaches, its a good class. Yes, much of what it covers is common
              sense. No, that does not make it a waste of time. Just pointing
              out things that should be common sense is often enough to make you
              relise just how many people don't use their common sense.

              Definently a good Idea to have a class like that for people who are
              interested in becomming Range Marshalls. Is Caid the only Kingdom
              that requires a class as well as the Supervised experiance
              marshalling?

              Nad
            • Scott Jaqua
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
                Speaking as someone that held the job that Carolus has now, the class is
                import for several reasons. The first is to address those situations that
                hopefully never came up during practical experience. Another is to handle
                the reporting issues that are part of any job.
                Caid has had the classes ever since I signed the very first Range Master
                (what we called them back then) warrants in the Kingdom. While some of the
                details of our system have changed, the basic structure and rules for the
                archery offices has not changed in almost 18 years. All in all I would say
                we have a pretty good track record.

                Njall

                Scott B. Jaqua
                ----------------------------
                The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
                other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
                but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2004
                  > Is Caid the only Kingdom
                  >that requires a class as well as the Supervised experiance
                  >marshalling?

                  Nope, Atlantia requires a class, and refresher classes every 2 years.

                  Siegfried
                  Da Kingdom Marshal