SCA on the National News

  • la petite femme skunk fatale
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
      I awoke this morning to the radio announcement "For every boy who ever dreamed of being a knight
      in shining armor and every girl who enjoyed dressing up like a princess, have we got the sport for
      you."

      What followed was an account of Pennsic 32, from an archery competition (yay!) through the Bridge
      and Field battles to an interview with the TuChucks.

      What was unusual about this account was that it was on National Public Radio, on their sports
      show, Only A Game. Hear the show and see a brief synopsis, including photos, at www.onlyagame.org.
      The account of Pennsic starts about 40 minutes into the show, after a lively discussion with the
      author of a book on duelling.

      If you think the first line was corny enough, it gets worse. The female reporter (Karen Givens)
      declined to interview or even *mention* a single female fighter, and the only picture of women on
      the website is a photo with the caption "women and children gather to wish their fighters well."

      In my not so humble opinion, this does more harm than good to the SCA. One of the reasons we
      recreate the Middle Ages as they *should have been* is so that all women who choose to can fight,
      not just the occasional Boudicca or Mary Read. Now the whole country has the mistaken impression
      that women at Pennsic run around in pointy hats cheerleading from the sidelines. To every woman on
      the field of battle this report amounts to a grievious insult. In the vernacular, them's fightin'
      words.

      I hope I'm not the only one who's challenged Ms. Givens to a duel. I hope she gets broadsided from
      every shire from here to Calontir. "Dressing up like a princess," indeed!

      Cesira the Really Steamed
      Archery MIT
      Shire of Coldwood, EK

      =====

      Don't think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.

      Dogen

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
        Honestly, now. Did you really expect true and non-skewed reporting from a
        news organization, even NPR?

        ::trimmed::

        > Cesira the Really Steamed
        > Archery MIT
        > Shire of Coldwood, EK

      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
          On the other hand we have had good coverage in everything from Life
          Magazine to the Wall Street Journal to USA Today and even a men's
          magazine give us excellent coverage and point out this fact. I don't
          think a single NPR radio report is going to hurt much.

          Of course, with enough pressure they might we prompted to do a follow up
          piece which would be even better.
          Carolus

          On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:31:32 -0800 (PST) la petite femme skunk fatale
          <rumpuspuma@...> writes:
          > I awoke this morning to the radio announcement "For every boy who
          > ever dreamed of being a knight
          > in shining armor and every girl who enjoyed dressing up like a
          > princess, have we got the sport for
          > you."
          >
          > What followed was an account of Pennsic 32, from an archery
          > competition (yay!) through the Bridge
          > and Field battles to an interview with the TuChucks.
          >
          > What was unusual about this account was that it was on National
          > Public Radio, on their sports
          > show, Only A Game. Hear the show and see a brief synopsis, including
          > photos, at www.onlyagame.org.
          > The account of Pennsic starts about 40 minutes into the show, after
          > a lively discussion with the
          > author of a book on duelling.
          >
          > If you think the first line was corny enough, it gets worse. The
          > female reporter (Karen Givens)
          > declined to interview or even *mention* a single female fighter, and
          > the only picture of women on
          > the website is a photo with the caption "women and children gather
          > to wish their fighters well."
          >
          > In my not so humble opinion, this does more harm than good to the
          > SCA. One of the reasons we
          > recreate the Middle Ages as they *should have been* is so that all
          > women who choose to can fight,
          > not just the occasional Boudicca or Mary Read. Now the whole country
          > has the mistaken impression
          > that women at Pennsic run around in pointy hats cheerleading from
          > the sidelines. To every woman on
          > the field of battle this report amounts to a grievious insult. In
          > the vernacular, them's fightin'
          > words.
          >
          > I hope I'm not the only one who's challenged Ms. Givens to a duel. I
          > hope she gets broadsided from
          > every shire from here to Calontir. "Dressing up like a princess,"
          > indeed!
          >
          > Cesira the Really Steamed
          > Archery MIT
          > Shire of Coldwood, EK

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Mac Con mac Conaill
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
            SOunds like a standard NPR hatchet job!

            Yours in Service;

            Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan Donald

            As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

            Declaration of Arbroath, 6 April 1320.

          • Robert Lauderdale
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
              At 11:10 AM 12/27/03 -0800, you wrote:
              >SOunds like a standard NPR hatchet job!
              >

              >Yours in Service;
              >
              >Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan Donald

              Well, I've been in the SCA since A.S. XV, and the piece in question is one
              of the most accurate pieces of media coverage I've ever seen or heard. The
              objectionable stuff was in the web site description, not the story.

              Perhaps it would be better to actually listen to the story in question
              before slinging around phrases like "hatchet job".

              YIS,
              Chidiock the Younger
            • Mac Con mac Conaill
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
                I stoped listening to NPR because of the hatchet jobs.

                Robert Lauderdale <chidiock@...> wrote:At 11:10 AM 12/27/03 -0800, you wrote:
                >SOunds like a standard NPR hatchet job!
                >

                >Yours in Service;
                >
                >Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan Donald

                Well, I've been in the SCA since A.S. XV, and the piece in question is one
                of the most accurate pieces of media coverage I've ever seen or heard. The
                objectionable stuff was in the web site description, not the story.

                Perhaps it would be better to actually listen to the story in question
                before slinging around phrases like "hatchet job".

                YIS,
                Chidiock the Younger

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Yours in Service;

                Tighearn Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan Donald

                As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

                Declaration of Arbroath, 6 April 1320.

              • Mike Wertz
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
                  Really steamed women are a turn on. Arrrgh.

                  That would be "Tuchux".

                  Which reminds me of the to twochucks ( Chucky and Chas) who fleeing for
                  their lives after a mighty battle, found themselves lost in the desert.
                  They came across a camel that could carry both of them and soon they
                  reached an oasis........................to be continued.

                  TK

                • Daniel Hawley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
                    > I hope I'm not the only one who's challenged Ms. Givens to a duel.
                    I hope she gets broadsided from
                    > every shire from here to Calontir. "Dressing up like a princess,"
                    indeed!

                    The Media are bad everywhere, the worst I have seen here in the UK
                    was Battlefield Detectives on Chanel 5. The "proved" that Bodkins
                    couldn't penetrate plate, and the archers at Agincourt were cheap
                    foot sodiers. This included cutting an interview to make a respected
                    arrowsmith seem to say the opposite of what he believes. For more
                    detail check out http://www.sptradarch.org/

                    Daniel
                  • Daniel Hawley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
                      For more
                      > detail check out http://www.sptradarch.org/
                      >
                      > Daniel

                      Sorry forgot to say click the link to Occasional articles
                      at the bottom of the left frame, and from there go to 3. Tripe TV &
                      facile science

                      Daniel
                    • Talmon Parker
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 27, 2003
                        Helms on the ladies ,and long hair on some of the men make it hard to
                        tell!!!!
                        They at least got mentioned.

                        Talmon

                        DER BARON

> [...]
                        > >that women at Pennsic run around in pointy hats cheerleading from the
                        > >sidelines. To every woman on
                        > >the field of battle this report amounts to a grievious insult. In the
                        > >vernacular, them's fightin'
                        > >words.
                        > >
                        > >I hope I'm not the only one who's challenged Ms. Givens to a duel. I hope
                        > >she gets broadsided from
                        > >every shire from here to Calontir. "Dressing up like a princess," indeed!
                        > >
                        > >Cesira the Really Steamed
                        > >Archery MIT
                        > >Shire of Coldwood, EK
                        > >
                        > >=====
                        > >
                        > >Don't think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.
                        > >
                        > >Dogen

                        > >New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
                        > >http://photos.yahoo.com/

                        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

                        Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
                        http://wine.msn.com
                      • la petite femme skunk fatale
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                          > >"Dressing up like a princess," indeed!
                          > >
                          > >Cesira the Really Steamed
                          > From: Mike Wertz <mwertz@...>
                          >
                          > Really steamed women are a turn on. Arrrgh.

                          *sigh* why oh why are there not right-minded fellows like this up in our little shire? Oh yeah, I
                          probably scared them all away.

                          > That would be "Tuchux".

                          You know, despite my umpteen years in the SCA, I don't think I've ever seen "Tuchux" spelled out
                          before. Learn something new every day. Thanx.

                          > Of course, with enough pressure they might we prompted to do a follow up
                          > piece which would be even better.
                          > Carolus

                          Ah. Yes, that's why I challenged her to a duel, going as far as to mention that my daughter is
                          also a fighter. *That* ought to be worth a headline, or at least a little research. I also
                          suggested that she might want to look up her local SCA fencing group and practice up before facing
                          me on the field. If she goes that far, she will certainly learn quite a bit and have her horizons
                          expanded. It's to be hoped that her local SCA light weapons contingent is rife with hot chicks
                          brandishing naked steel. ;)

                          Cesira

                          Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in areas too cold for outdoor winter archery, how
                          many new arrows have you made since you put your bow up for the winter?

                          I'm at 33 arrows, four bow socks, and three sets of string keepers. Can you tell that my fellow
                          local archers consider me gullible?

                          =====

                          Don't think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.

                          Dogen

                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        • Nest verch Tangwistel
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                            When it gets too cold around here we move indoors, but then I am lucky. We
                            have an archery place which has an indoor 40 yard lane. We get to practice
                            there twice a week.

                            Making arrows is another matter. I think I have made about 6 dozen for
                            myself since the end of summer. Then there was the arrow making workshop I
                            ran, in which we made 11 dozen.

                            The big problem with our indoor lane is that the wall is held together
                            with metal plates. We call them the arrow eaters. The arrows never live
                            through a direct hit, or even a glancing blow.

                            Nest
                            > Cesira
                            >
                            > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in areas too cold for
                            > outdoor winter archery, how
                            > many new arrows have you made since you put your bow up for the winter?
                            >
                            > I'm at 33 arrows, four bow socks, and three sets of string keepers. Can
                            > you tell that my fellow
                            > local archers consider me gullible?

                            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                          • HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                              Well were still shooting here in Western Ansteorra - its been in the 60's on our scheduled archery practices so we are still shooting. (hopefully I will soon get back into better form after messing up the left wrist.)

                              Anyway I have made 4 dozen arrows in the last 3 months.
                              A new portable target stop filled with plastic bags we use at our practices.
                              I am also getting the supplies in and my workshop setup to start making 30 war crossbows that will soon part of my stock for sale.

                              Other then that - life's been fun.

                              HL Agnarr Thorvaldsson
                              Ansteorra

                              > > Really steamed women are a turn on. Arrrgh.
                              >
                              > *sigh* why oh why are there not right-minded fellows like this up in our little shire? Oh yeah, I
                              > probably scared them all away.
                              >

                              > > That would be "Tuchux".
                              >
                              > You know, despite my umpteen years in the SCA, I don't think I've ever seen "Tuchux" spelled out
                              > before. Learn something new every day. Thanx.
                              >

                              > > Of course, with enough pressure they might we prompted to do a follow up
                              > > piece which would be even better.
                              > > Carolus
                              >
                              > Ah. Yes, that's why I challenged her to a duel, going as far as to mention that my daughter is
                              > also a fighter. *That* ought to be worth a headline, or at least a little research. I also
                              > suggested that she might want to look up her local SCA fencing group and practice up before facing
                              > me on the field. If she goes that far, she will certainly learn quite a bit and have her horizons
                              > expanded. It's to be hoped that her local SCA light weapons contingent is rife with hot chicks
                              > brandishing naked steel. ;)
                              >
                              > Cesira
                              >
                              > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in areas too cold for outdoor winter archery, how
                              > many new arrows have you made since you put your bow up for the winter?
                              >
                              > I'm at 33 arrows, four bow socks, and three sets of string keepers. Can you tell that my fellow
                              > local archers consider me gullible?
                              >

                              > =====
                              >
                              > Don't think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.
                              >
                              > Dogen

                              > http://photos.yahoo.com/

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Erasmus Urswyc
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 29, 2003
                                We are very lucky to have teh indoor range that Nest
                                had mentioned. I myself have gone through 3 dozen
                                this winter already .... perhaps I don't hit as many
                                "Arrow eaters" as Nest does :P

                                Erasmus

                                --- Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote:
                                > When it gets too cold around here we move indoors,
                                > but then I am lucky. We
                                > have an archery place which has an indoor 40 yard
                                > lane. We get to practice
                                > there twice a week.
                                >
                                > Making arrows is another matter. I think I have made
                                > about 6 dozen for
                                > myself since the end of summer. Then there was the
                                > arrow making workshop I
                                > ran, in which we made 11 dozen.
                                >
                                > The big problem with our indoor lane is that the
                                > wall is held together
                                > with metal plates. We call them the arrow eaters.
                                > The arrows never live
                                > through a direct hit, or even a glancing blow.
                                >
                                > Nest
                                > > Cesira
                                > >
                                > > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in
                                > areas too cold for
                                > > outdoor winter archery, how
                                > > many new arrows have you made since you put your
                                > bow up for the winter?
                                > >
                                > > I'm at 33 arrows, four bow socks, and three sets
                                > of string keepers. Can
                                > > you tell that my fellow
                                > > local archers consider me gullible?

                                > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                                > Medieval Mart
                                > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                                > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                                > leave this list]
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                http://photos.yahoo.com/
                              • roguenad2000
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 29, 2003
                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, la petite femme skunk fatale
                                  <rumpuspuma@y...> wrote:
                                  > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in areas too cold
                                  for outdoor winter archery, how
                                  > many new arrows have you made since you put your bow up for the
                                  winter?

                                  Its not too cold to shoot here in Vegas, though the Gusting
                                  Tailwinds last Saturday made for some interesting arrow flights, but
                                  as for gettin more stuff ready....

                                  Let see.. I am 2/3 the way through making a linen backed Oak
                                  English Longbow, its basicly shaped, but I need to tiller it, and
                                  drop the weight a bit for the person who wants it. Then I have two
                                  bambo backed ipe bows that I am working on (boy those dull the tools
                                  quick but they are gonna look nice), and several Hickory backed bows
                                  in various states of compleation (most just need to have a leather
                                  grip, strike plate, and arrow rest applied), then I have probably a
                                  dozen strings I need to make, and I am waiting on my last order of
                                  100 arrow shafts to come in so I can start checking the spine on
                                  them, and weighing them as I wait on my feather order to come in.
                                  Then I have about 4 doz. arrows I need to make for people, and then
                                  finaly I need to do work on MY tackle...

                                  Yea, theres plenty for me to do even when I CAN make it to the
                                  Range :)And of course talking OTHERS in to going to the range a
                                  little more often would be good too....

                                  Nad
                                • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 29, 2003
                                    > > > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in
                                    > > areas too cold for
                                    > > > outdoor winter archery, how
                                    > > > many new arrows have you made since you put your
                                    > > bow up for the winter?
                                    > > >
                                    > > Here's a poll question for you: of those of us in areas too cold
                                    > for outdoor winter archery, how
                                    > > many new arrows have you made since you put your bow up
                                    for the
                                    > winter?

                                    Konnichi wa, tomodachi...
                                    I have finished making a new pair of yugake (archery gloves) , a
                                    brocade Kake bakuro (bag to keep the gloves in), and a laquered
                                    wood sengoku jidai ebira (japanese hip quiver) and a pair of
                                    mukabaki (fur hunting style chaps) for myself.

                                    I also have several orders for ebira, which I have in various
                                    stages of completion - most of the wood and wicker work is
                                    done, but there is much more to go.

                                    Lastly, I sat down and designed a bunch of artwork that can be
                                    printed on large format printers that feature detailed, life sized
                                    pretend enemy samurai in various positions, in armor, to use at
                                    targets. I have wanted to do that for quite a while...

                                    Of course, there is always the armor to fix...and more weapons to
                                    aquire...and Kamakura shooting garb to sew...

                                    Date Saburou Yukiie
                                    Yama Kaminari Ryu
                                    Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                                    http://www.kabutographics.com
                                    kabuto@...