Re: Quivers etc

  • BLOODSNG@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
      oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction decoration and
      use of arms and aror in all countries and in all times, ( no kiding that is
      the tidel). it has quite a few quivers in it hip, hourse, chariot, and
      back................also look at soe of the early statues an art og the greco
      roan times there are saples there also , for soe reason I reber a painting of
      heries with a back quiver but I do not have it here .............Blood
    • Elfwine
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
        I am astonishished that a society based on chivalry, and especially those on
        this list who are Peers, have remained silent when a Lord calls a Lady an
        "Asshole", and more. Had this conversation taken place anywhere else in the
        society, that Lord would surely have been called before a Court of Chivalry to
        answer for his breach in behavior. I thank those who came to BlkKnightI's Lady
        (Tracy) and offered encouragement, though I am disheartened that they did so
        privately.

        Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the rude,
        vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which has landed us
        here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this list-service. Whatever
        happened to morality? Let those who are here have the decency to stand up and be
        counted among those who will not tolerate this behavior.

        Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding this matter
        to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask for, and recieve, a
        public apology. And that has not been forthcoming. In fact, Macsen was rather
        rude about that too.

        I'm done with this list if those remaining shrug the whole thing off with a
        "Well now... what were we talking about?"

        >>--Elfwine-->
      • Deann E. Allen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
          BLOODSNG@... wrote:

          > From: BLOODSNG@...
          >
          > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
          > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
          > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
          > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
          [snip]

          Thank you. Filed for reference. :)

          D.
          --
          100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!
        • Deann E. Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
            Elfwine wrote:
            [snip]
            > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
            > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
            > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
            > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
            > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
            > tolerate this behavior.
            >
            > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
            > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
            > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
            > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.

            I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
            She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
            preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
            doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
            themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
            virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

            When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
            call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
            does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
            courtesy apply equally to all.

            D.
          • Robert L Brunnemer
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
              I am sorry I was not going to speak on this thread anymore, because it
              has turned into a heated argument instead of being a helpful debate, but
              I think that I must reply as a 3rd party here.

              Then Dean wrote in response:
              >>>Which in no way invalidates whatever other documentation was found
              by Mistress Kendra. Nor is Macsen's "statement" in any way "faulty,"
              his memory is merely incomplete.>>>

              I read the original post that stated that their was "proof" on the
              bayeau(sp?) tapestry of back quivers. If I remember (I may not be
              totally correct, but I don't think that my mind is failing me that much)
              that someone wrote that in a article, I don't think that it was Macsen,
              without mentioning Mistress Kendra's documentation. The lady in question
              (sorry I forget her name) then stated that the only thing that she could
              find on the Bayeau(sp?) tapestry was a belt quiver around the shoulders.
              (Which I would think would be a back quiver because it is on the back by
              the way.) Then some people (if not many) took this as a personal attack,
              because of some other things that she wrote in jest about Errol Fllynn
              movies (which I didn't get) and about horses standing on their heads. (I
              too thought that to be VERY funny. :-))

              Really I think that all of this was just a GIGANTIC mis-understanding,
              and could have been avoided, but really it seems that people had a bad
              week, and thus all of a sudden here we are on One List. Remember thought
              that a single straw can not break the camel's back. So as Macsen stated
              "The straw that broke the camel's back" means that there had to have been
              MANY other moments that Macsen was unhappy with all of the things that
              had been going on.

              <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in something
              and then set out to find documentation to prove it is perhaps the
              worst insult that can be offered anyone who does research. It would
              be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to claim that your wife set
              out to prove a belief that back quivers did not exist in period.>>>

              If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How are
              things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone would want
              to find something out, (whether something did or didn't happen, or was
              used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or disprove something. From
              the way I read this it sounds like to you as a researcher would have to
              stumble onto things blindly and then say "Hey that is interesting I will
              have to do it that way." Am I way off base or just reading this wrong.
              (By the way I am not being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)

              I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating my
              opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the conversation,
              and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

              Also a bit of advice from a 17 year old that you could take or tell me to
              go to hell with. I have always thought that when people start to argue
              with no real purpose (that is not debating, but name calling arguing) it
              is best to step back a minute think about it from the other point of
              view, and then try to resolve the issue. Again read the upset insult
              part above.

              Have a nice day!!!
              Robert
              Hugewheels@...
              Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

            • lester
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                As a new member of this list, enough is enough. If Macen is not going to
                apologize for his rudeness, so be it. but lets get on with something
                constructive.

                I wish to learn the correct way to make arrows for war, such as where do I
                get the tips - can they be made - are wooden arrows allowed, if not what
                type are allowed. Where on the web (SCA) can I find this information

                Thanks

                Ifer de Leycester

                > > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
                > > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
                > > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
                > > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
                > > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
                > > tolerate this behavior.
                > >
                > > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
                > > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
                > > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
                > > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.
                >
                > I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
                > She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
                > preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
                > doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
                > themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
                > virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.
                >
                > When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
                > call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
                > does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
                > courtesy apply equally to all.
                >
                > D.

                > ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

              • Deann E. Allen
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
                  Robert L Brunnemer wrote:

                  > From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                  [snip]
                  > <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in
                  > something and then set out to find documentation to prove it is
                  > perhaps the worst insult that can be offered anyone who does
                  > research. It would be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to
                  > claim that your wife set out to prove a belief that back quivers
                  > did not exist in period.>>>
                  >
                  > If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How
                  > are things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone
                  > would want to find something out, (whether something did or didn't
                  > happen, or was used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or
                  > disprove something. From the way I read this it sounds like to
                  > you as a researcher would have to stumble onto things blindly and
                  > then say "Hey that is interesting I will have to do it that way."
                  > Am I way off base or just reading this wrong. (By the way I am not
                  > being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)
                  >
                  > I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating
                  > my opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the
                  > conversation, and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

                  Someone once said that the best way to lie is to tell only part of
                  the truth. Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                  prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                  the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                  research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                  would not tell all the truth about what you found. That is why such
                  an accusation is an insult to anyone who conducts research.

                  As to whether Tracy's comments were meant in jest and were taken as
                  serious.... Well, that's why someone invented emoticons. When you
                  say something that is not to be taken seriously, adding a smile :)
                  or a wink ;) will make that clear to the reader. When such are
                  absent, it is usual to take the comment as being serious. Some
                  people eschew emoticons as being uncouth. I have found they mostly
                  enhance understanding, if used in moderation.

                  D.
                  --
                  100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!
                • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                    In a message dated 7/31/99 1:01:24 AM, dallen@... writes:

                    >I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
                    >She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
                    >preconceived beliefs,

                    She made no accusations at all. Please re read the original post.

                    >and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
                    >doing proper research.

                    She said that this all is OK with her.

                    >These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
                    >themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
                    >virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

                    The list is not Macsens "house". Ifso he is certainly a rude host.
                    You have no idea what she meant and do you are presumptious to state anything
                    of the sort.
                    I was there when she wrote it. You are wrong in your presumptions of her
                    intent.
                    Richard
                  • Robert L Brunnemer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                      Hallo!!!

                      Dean wrote:
                      <<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                      prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                      the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                      research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                      would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>>

                      I am sorry, but this too does not sit well with me. There is something
                      about it that I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to
                      want to document something would be because someone would want to know if
                      it actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                      monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                      think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining "journey"
                      than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues would be
                      followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of why someone
                      decided to prove so and so more than what they thought before hand? I
                      know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not completely thinking
                      straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am writing it, if you
                      don't understand please tell me and in the morning I will re-word it or
                      whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                      don't take it personally. And...

                      Have a nice day!!!
                      Robert
                      Hugewheels@...
                      Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                    • Ramos & Aaminah
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                        Please remove me from the your list
                      • M&L Romanowski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                          Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                          on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                          had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                          that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                          sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                          crossbows on display too.

                          A reference you can actually see!

                          Marcus Caruana.

                          "Deann E. Allen" wrote:

                          > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                          >
                          > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                          > >
                          > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                          > >
                          > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                          > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                          > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                          > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                          > [snip]
                          >
                          > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                          >
                          > D.
                          > --
                          > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                          > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                          > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                          > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                        • Karl Sandhoff
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                            Monetary gain or not Dean has a valid point here. If someone starts out
                            with a preconcieved position and wishes to prove the "correctness" of
                            that position and searches out references to prove it he is not
                            documenting the fact. The matter still stands that other documentation
                            which refutes that presented will often be ignored, conciously or
                            unconciously. This means that a blatently false position is being
                            present as true. If, on the other hand, a hypothesis is being tested,
                            all evidence positive or negative is presented thus proving the fact.
                            The difference here is that in the first case a position was taken and
                            then proved, in the second a question asked and then a position taken.
                            The second is the path of a true scholar and researcher. I've had to
                            learn this one the hard way in my training as an archaeologist. Thank
                            you to all on this list for the opportunity to have some very fine
                            academic debates.
                            Carolus von Eulenhorst

                            On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:14:12 -0700 Robert L Brunnemer
                            <hugewheels@...> writes:
                            >From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                            >
                            >Hallo!!!
                            >
                            >Dean wrote:
                            ><<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                            >prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                            >the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                            >research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                            >would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>> I am sorry, but
                            >this too does not sit well with me. There is something about it that
                            >I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to want to
                            >document something would be because someone would want to know if it
                            >actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                            >monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                            >think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining
                            >"journey" than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues
                            >would be followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of
                            >why someone decided to prove so and so more than what they thought
                            >before hand? I know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not
                            >completely thinking straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am
                            >writing it, if you don't understand please tell me and in the morning
                            >I will re-word it or
                            >whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                            >don't take it personally. And...
                            >
                            >Have a nice day!!!
                            >Robert
                            >Hugewheels@... Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!
                            >Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail,
                            >and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web:
                            >http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ---------------------------
                            >ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- ONElist members are
                            >using Shared Files in great ways! http://www.onelist.com Are you? If
                            >not, see our homepage for details.
                            >Mountain, East Kingdom

                          • Ian Gourdon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                              Marcus,
                              Oooh! I'm 'all a-quiver'. I may have 'shot my bolt'. Etc.
                              Any chance of getting the specifics sometime? It would be very nice to
                              know exactly what they've got, eh? And the arrows; sure you don't need
                              to beg a look at the artifact? Since you're part of 'the Greenwood
                              Group, a Medieval research organization'...
                              Ian Gourdon

                              M&L Romanowski wrote:

                              > From: M&L Romanowski <leanner@...>
                              >
                              > Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                              > on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                              > had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                              > that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                              > sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                              > crossbows on display too.
                              >
                              > A reference you can actually see!
                              >
                              > Marcus Caruana.
                              >
                              > "Deann E. Allen" wrote:
                              >
                              > > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                              > >
                              > > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                              > > >
                              > > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                              > > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                              > > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                              > > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                              > > [snip]
                              > >
                              > > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                              > >
                              > > D.
                              > > --
                              > > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                              > > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                              > > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                              > > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                              > > of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom

                              > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
                              > For details and to order, go to:
                              > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

                              Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
                              - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
                              http://web.raex.com/~agincort
                            • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                                In a message dated 7/31/99 4:46:45 PM, leanner@... writes:

                                >Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                                >on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                                >had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                                >that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                                >sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                                >crossbows on display too.

                                >A reference you can actually see!>

                                Thanks. I am wondering if you could be more specfic as to which museum you've
                                seen this in. I would like to persue your find but there are numerous history
                                museums in Chicago.
                                Do you remember what time period this artifact was from and where?

                                Richard