Aiming with a longbow

  • Lorenzo
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 19, 2000
      Greetings,

      I have a question regarding aiming with a longbow. Oftentimes, beginners
      who are starting out with a longbow complain that when they are sighting
      using the shaft of the arrow, they find themselves aiming way to one
      side or another of the target in order to get their arrows near the
      middle. I assume this is because of the archer's paradox problem, but
      since I don't have a longbow, I really don't know if it's true, or more
      importantly, how to instruct people on the best way to aim if they have
      this question. Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!!

      - Lorenzo
    • liadan
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 24, 2000
        Unkown distances are not that difficult with the aimed shot if there is a
        practice round first. I know my aim points at 20, 30 & 40yds but it hasn't
        taken very long to find my aim points when I've shot at longer distances - I
        had the worst problems when I was shooting with a 20# bow and the aim point
        was tree limbs or sky at the longer distances. My RR scores increased 10
        points the day I switched from instinctive to aiming. I am glad I started
        with instinctive because I think it would be harder to learn instinctive
        after beginning with aiming, and I do partly instinctive in speed rounds and
        combat archery BUT instictive is not the best way for everyone.
        Liadan of Seahaven