Re: Stirring things up?

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      Sorry, forgot something...

      Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
      idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

      "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
      wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
      the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
      string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
      him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
      board."

      And mention next time:

      "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
      circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
      upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
      available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
      arrows."
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
        cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
        appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
        make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
        needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
        activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
        gets loaded down.
        Carolus

        On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
        writes:
        > Sorry, forgot something...
        >
        > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
        > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
        >
        > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
        > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
        >
        > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
        > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
        > contact
        > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
        > board."
        >
        > And mention next time:
        >
        > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
        > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
        > the
        > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
        > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
        > arrows."

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • mark s graves
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
          Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
          fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
          and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
          archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
          archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
          sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
          flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
          help......William Ross of Skye

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • la petite femme skunk fatale
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
            As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
            did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
            most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
            order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
            next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
            Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
            T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
            handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
            a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
            who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
            Besides, I just like to make stuff.

            Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
            spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

            If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
            handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
            guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
            silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
            string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

            Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
            know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
            down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

            Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
            a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
            a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
            Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
            Shire of Coldwood, EK

            =====

            Snow fallen on snow,

            and this evening, the full moon

            of November

            Basho

            I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

            Ikkyu

            http://photos.yahoo.com/