Re: Stirring things up?

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      Personally, I think much can be done by making practices
      interesting. The local group here only shoots royal rounds at the
      twice monthly practice. While one individual strives to come up with
      a simple novelty shoot for each practice, it's only a few minutes at
      the end and he isn't always able to attend. Without trying to bring
      up the whole "RR's are out of period" argument, I feel that many
      people have stopped attending these practices simply because they are
      boring, uninteresting, and don't challenge the mind or skills
      sufficiently. I know that's one reason I no longer go.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "roguenad2000" <nad@f...> wrote:
      > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
      > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
      > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there
      is
      > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would
      offer
      > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
      >
      > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
      > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
      > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
      > just don't follow through.
      >
      > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
      > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
      > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
      >
      > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
      > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
      >
      > Nad
    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        Sorry, forgot something...

        Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
        idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

        "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
        wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
        the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
        string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
        him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
        board."

        And mention next time:

        "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
        circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
        upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
        available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
        arrows."
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
          It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
          cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
          appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
          make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
          needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
          activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
          gets loaded down.
          Carolus

          On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
          writes:
          > Sorry, forgot something...
          >
          > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
          > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
          >
          > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
          > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
          >
          > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
          > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
          > contact
          > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
          > board."
          >
          > And mention next time:
          >
          > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
          > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
          > the
          > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
          > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
          > arrows."

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • mark s graves
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
            Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
            fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
            and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
            archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
            archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
            sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
            flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
            help......William Ross of Skye

            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • la petite femme skunk fatale
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
              As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
              did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
              most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
              order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
              next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
              Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
              T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
              handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
              a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
              who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
              Besides, I just like to make stuff.

              Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
              spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

              If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
              handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
              guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
              silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
              string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

              Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
              know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
              down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

              Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
              a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
              a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
              Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
              Shire of Coldwood, EK

              =====

              Snow fallen on snow,

              and this evening, the full moon

              of November

              Basho

              I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

              Ikkyu

              http://photos.yahoo.com/