Re: [SCA-Archery] Stirring things up?

  • drosen105@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5 3:35 PM

      > Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

      At the risk of getting into another OT argument, Prince Rupert was not the first. The name as roots in Germany and the English "borrowed" it. The name is registered and has been approved by the College of Heralds. Please everyone, let this be the end of this thread. If you wish to debate further, contact me off list.
      Rupert
    • eulenhorst@juno.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5 3:43 PM
        Not intended as a slight, just a jab at a friend. I am certain the name is fully appropriate but I think the reference to a non-enlisted commander is what was meant in the post I repoied to. Please let me know how early the name appeared in Germany. Sometimes something like this opens a interesting line of information.

        In Service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        -- drosen105@... wrote:

        > Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

        At the risk of getting into another OT argument, Prince Rupert was not the first. The name as roots in Germany and the English "borrowed" it. The name is registered and has been approved by the College of Heralds. Please everyone, let this be the end of this thread. If you wish to debate further, contact me off list.
        Rupert

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Scott Jaqua
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5 3:45 PM
          Actually the Rupert comment I made was a from a Terry Pratchet book.
          Something about all officers being named Rupert, or some such. So that was
          the slang for officer. I think it's a British thing.

          Njall

          Scott B. Jaqua
          -----------------------------
          The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
          other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
          but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
        • Guy Taylor
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5 5:52 PM
            Personally, I think much can be done by making practices
            interesting. The local group here only shoots royal rounds at the
            twice monthly practice. While one individual strives to come up with
            a simple novelty shoot for each practice, it's only a few minutes at
            the end and he isn't always able to attend. Without trying to bring
            up the whole "RR's are out of period" argument, I feel that many
            people have stopped attending these practices simply because they are
            boring, uninteresting, and don't challenge the mind or skills
            sufficiently. I know that's one reason I no longer go.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "roguenad2000" <nad@f...> wrote:
            > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
            > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
            > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there
            is
            > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would
            offer
            > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
            >
            > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
            > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
            > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
            > just don't follow through.
            >
            > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
            > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
            > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
            >
            > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
            > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
            >
            > Nad
          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5 6:01 PM
              Sorry, forgot something...

              Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
              idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

              "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
              wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
              the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
              string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
              him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
              board."

              And mention next time:

              "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
              circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
              upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
              available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
              arrows."
            • Carolus Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5 11:45 PM
                It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
                cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
                appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
                make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
                needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
                activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
                gets loaded down.
                Carolus

                On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
                writes:
                > Sorry, forgot something...
                >
                > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
                >
                > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                >
                > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
                > contact
                > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                > board."
                >
                > And mention next time:
                >
                > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
                > the
                > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                > arrows."

                Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
              • mark s graves
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 6 6:31 PM
                  Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
                  fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
                  and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
                  archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
                  archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
                  sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
                  flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
                  help......William Ross of Skye

                  Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                • la petite femme skunk fatale
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 6 8:11 PM
                    As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
                    did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
                    most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
                    order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
                    next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
                    Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
                    T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
                    handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
                    a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
                    who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
                    Besides, I just like to make stuff.

                    Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
                    spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

                    If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
                    handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
                    guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
                    silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
                    string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

                    Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
                    know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
                    down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

                    Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
                    a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
                    a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
                    Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
                    Shire of Coldwood, EK

                    =====

                    Snow fallen on snow,

                    and this evening, the full moon

                    of November

                    Basho

                    I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

                    Ikkyu

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/