Re: [SCA-Archery] Stirring things up?

  • drosen105@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to shoot at.
      Rupert
    • Scott Jaqua
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
        shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
        have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
        make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
        time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
        make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
        shoot at.
        > Rupert

        You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
        enlisted personnel only!

        :)

        Njall

        Scott B. Jaqua
        ----------------------------
        The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
        other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
        but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
      • eulenhorst@juno.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
          Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

          In Service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
          shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
          have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
          make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
          time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
          make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
          shoot at.
          > Rupert

          You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
          enlisted personnel only!

          :)

          Njall

          Scott B. Jaqua
          ----------------------------
          The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
          other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
          but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
            Konnichi wa tomodachi,
            As a nearly 26 year vet of heavy weapons fighting, I find I still will
            put on armor and whack people instead of let arrows fly...unless
            it is a two day event...and I love letting arrows fly...
            One can always shoot on sunday if one fought on saturday...
            Perhaps, you could split up an event, and make it into an over-all
            combatant type of event...
            A prize for the best fighter, a prize for the best archer, and a prize
            for the best combined archer/figher...
            Mabey have a "shooting while in armor" shoot...where the
            archers shoot in the armor they fight in...but use live bows and
            shoot at themed targets...
            Perhaps have the shooting portion before the fighting, in the
            morning, so fighters can arm up and whack things later...
            Perhaps have the local Baron or King (ask nicely) demand that
            archers take the field to repell the incroasion of their border, and
            have the fighters mopp up...
            Just ideas...
            Date
          • drosen105@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003

              > Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

              At the risk of getting into another OT argument, Prince Rupert was not the first. The name as roots in Germany and the English "borrowed" it. The name is registered and has been approved by the College of Heralds. Please everyone, let this be the end of this thread. If you wish to debate further, contact me off list.
              Rupert
            • eulenhorst@juno.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                Not intended as a slight, just a jab at a friend. I am certain the name is fully appropriate but I think the reference to a non-enlisted commander is what was meant in the post I repoied to. Please let me know how early the name appeared in Germany. Sometimes something like this opens a interesting line of information.

                In Service to the dream
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Actually the Rupert comment I made was a from a Terry Pratchet book.
                  Something about all officers being named Rupert, or some such. So that was
                  the slang for officer. I think it's a British thing.

                  Njall

                  Scott B. Jaqua
                  -----------------------------
                  The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
                  other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
                  but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
                • Guy Taylor
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Personally, I think much can be done by making practices
                    interesting. The local group here only shoots royal rounds at the
                    twice monthly practice. While one individual strives to come up with
                    a simple novelty shoot for each practice, it's only a few minutes at
                    the end and he isn't always able to attend. Without trying to bring
                    up the whole "RR's are out of period" argument, I feel that many
                    people have stopped attending these practices simply because they are
                    boring, uninteresting, and don't challenge the mind or skills
                    sufficiently. I know that's one reason I no longer go.

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "roguenad2000" <nad@f...> wrote:
                    > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
                    > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
                    > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there
                    is
                    > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would
                    offer
                    > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
                    >
                    > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
                    > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
                    > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
                    > just don't follow through.
                    >
                    > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
                    > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
                    > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
                    >
                    > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
                    > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
                    >
                    > Nad
                  • Guy Taylor
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Sorry, forgot something...

                      Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                      idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

                      "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                      wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                      the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                      string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
                      him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                      board."

                      And mention next time:

                      "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                      circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
                      upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                      available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                      arrows."
                    • Carolus Eulenhorst
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                        It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
                        cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
                        appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
                        make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
                        needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
                        activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
                        gets loaded down.
                        Carolus

                        On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
                        writes:
                        > Sorry, forgot something...
                        >
                        > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                        > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
                        >
                        > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                        > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                        >
                        > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                        > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
                        > contact
                        > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                        > board."
                        >
                        > And mention next time:
                        >
                        > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                        > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
                        > the
                        > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                        > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                        > arrows."

                        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                      • mark s graves
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                          Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
                          fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
                          and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
                          archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
                          archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
                          sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
                          flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
                          help......William Ross of Skye

                          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                        • la petite femme skunk fatale
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                            As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
                            did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
                            most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
                            order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
                            next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
                            Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
                            T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
                            handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
                            a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
                            who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
                            Besides, I just like to make stuff.

                            Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
                            spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

                            If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
                            handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
                            guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
                            silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
                            string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

                            Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
                            know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
                            down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

                            Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
                            a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
                            a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
                            Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
                            Shire of Coldwood, EK

                            =====

                            Snow fallen on snow,

                            and this evening, the full moon

                            of November

                            Basho

                            I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

                            Ikkyu

                            http://photos.yahoo.com/