[SCA-Archery] Stirring things up?

  • RJ Bachner
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      I like to do it at gun point. thats get thier attention. personally I have found that keeping
      interest in archery a frustrating and thankless experience. much like banging yer head repeatedly
      into a wall. you will find a few crazies that get into it and become the core of your group but the
      hangers on just drift in and out as they wander aimlessly through life.

      Running courses and booths and helping out at events is not only a good way to go, it is sometimes
      the only way to ensure that there is any archery at an event, specially if any of them durn fighters
      are organising the event. I and or Angall always try to remember to bring our own targets when we go
      out of shire as we have discovered that the autocrat has forgotton to take care of archery again.

      Ragi

    • drosen105@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to shoot at.
        Rupert
      • Scott Jaqua
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
          > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
          shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
          have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
          make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
          time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
          make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
          shoot at.
          > Rupert

          You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
          enlisted personnel only!

          :)

          Njall

          Scott B. Jaqua
          ----------------------------
          The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
          other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
          but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
        • eulenhorst@juno.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
            Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

            In Service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
            shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
            have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
            make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
            time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
            make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
            shoot at.
            > Rupert

            You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
            enlisted personnel only!

            :)

            Njall

            Scott B. Jaqua
            ----------------------------
            The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
            other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
            but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
              Konnichi wa tomodachi,
              As a nearly 26 year vet of heavy weapons fighting, I find I still will
              put on armor and whack people instead of let arrows fly...unless
              it is a two day event...and I love letting arrows fly...
              One can always shoot on sunday if one fought on saturday...
              Perhaps, you could split up an event, and make it into an over-all
              combatant type of event...
              A prize for the best fighter, a prize for the best archer, and a prize
              for the best combined archer/figher...
              Mabey have a "shooting while in armor" shoot...where the
              archers shoot in the armor they fight in...but use live bows and
              shoot at themed targets...
              Perhaps have the shooting portion before the fighting, in the
              morning, so fighters can arm up and whack things later...
              Perhaps have the local Baron or King (ask nicely) demand that
              archers take the field to repell the incroasion of their border, and
              have the fighters mopp up...
              Just ideas...
              Date
            • drosen105@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003

                > Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

                At the risk of getting into another OT argument, Prince Rupert was not the first. The name as roots in Germany and the English "borrowed" it. The name is registered and has been approved by the College of Heralds. Please everyone, let this be the end of this thread. If you wish to debate further, contact me off list.
                Rupert
              • eulenhorst@juno.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Not intended as a slight, just a jab at a friend. I am certain the name is fully appropriate but I think the reference to a non-enlisted commander is what was meant in the post I repoied to. Please let me know how early the name appeared in Germany. Sometimes something like this opens a interesting line of information.

                  In Service to the dream
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  eulenhorst@...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Actually the Rupert comment I made was a from a Terry Pratchet book.
                    Something about all officers being named Rupert, or some such. So that was
                    the slang for officer. I think it's a British thing.

                    Njall

                    Scott B. Jaqua
                    -----------------------------
                    The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
                    other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
                    but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
                  • Guy Taylor
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Personally, I think much can be done by making practices
                      interesting. The local group here only shoots royal rounds at the
                      twice monthly practice. While one individual strives to come up with
                      a simple novelty shoot for each practice, it's only a few minutes at
                      the end and he isn't always able to attend. Without trying to bring
                      up the whole "RR's are out of period" argument, I feel that many
                      people have stopped attending these practices simply because they are
                      boring, uninteresting, and don't challenge the mind or skills
                      sufficiently. I know that's one reason I no longer go.

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "roguenad2000" <nad@f...> wrote:
                      > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
                      > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
                      > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there
                      is
                      > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would
                      offer
                      > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
                      >
                      > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
                      > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
                      > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
                      > just don't follow through.
                      >
                      > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
                      > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
                      > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
                      >
                      > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
                      > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
                      >
                      > Nad
                    • Guy Taylor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                        Sorry, forgot something...

                        Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                        idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

                        "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                        wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                        the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                        string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
                        him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                        board."

                        And mention next time:

                        "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                        circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
                        upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                        available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                        arrows."
                      • Carolus Eulenhorst
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                          It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
                          cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
                          appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
                          make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
                          needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
                          activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
                          gets loaded down.
                          Carolus

                          On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
                          writes:
                          > Sorry, forgot something...
                          >
                          > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                          > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
                          >
                          > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                          > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                          >
                          > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                          > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
                          > contact
                          > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                          > board."
                          >
                          > And mention next time:
                          >
                          > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                          > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
                          > the
                          > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                          > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                          > arrows."

                          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                        • mark s graves
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                            Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
                            fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
                            and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
                            archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
                            archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
                            sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
                            flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
                            help......William Ross of Skye

                            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                          • la petite femme skunk fatale
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                              As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
                              did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
                              most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
                              order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
                              next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
                              Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
                              T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
                              handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
                              a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
                              who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
                              Besides, I just like to make stuff.

                              Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
                              spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

                              If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
                              handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
                              guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
                              silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
                              string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

                              Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
                              know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
                              down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

                              Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
                              a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
                              a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
                              Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
                              Shire of Coldwood, EK

                              =====

                              Snow fallen on snow,

                              and this evening, the full moon

                              of November

                              Basho

                              I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

                              Ikkyu

                              http://photos.yahoo.com/