Re: [SCA-Archery] Stirring things up?

  • saintelmo.1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
      One of the best things you can do to get new people involved is to have loaner gear at events and annouce that there will be teaching going on and maybe even a special tourney for first time archers. I ran this as an add in one of my events a few years ago and I got a really good response. If it was not for a nearby marshal having loaner gear at an event several years ago I most likley would not still be in the SCA and almost certinatly would not have started shooting.

      Forester Demetrious the Undecided
      > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
      > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
      > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there is
      > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would offer
      > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
      >
      > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
      > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
      > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
      > just don't follow through.
      >
      > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
      > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
      > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
      >
      > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
      > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
      >
      > Nad

    • RJ Bachner
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
        I like to do it at gun point. thats get thier attention. personally I have found that keeping
        interest in archery a frustrating and thankless experience. much like banging yer head repeatedly
        into a wall. you will find a few crazies that get into it and become the core of your group but the
        hangers on just drift in and out as they wander aimlessly through life.

        Running courses and booths and helping out at events is not only a good way to go, it is sometimes
        the only way to ensure that there is any archery at an event, specially if any of them durn fighters
        are organising the event. I and or Angall always try to remember to bring our own targets when we go
        out of shire as we have discovered that the autocrat has forgotton to take care of archery again.

        Ragi

      • drosen105@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
          Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to shoot at.
          Rupert
        • Scott Jaqua
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
            > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
            shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
            have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
            make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
            time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
            make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
            shoot at.
            > Rupert

            You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
            enlisted personnel only!

            :)

            Njall

            Scott B. Jaqua
            ----------------------------
            The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
            other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
            but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
          • eulenhorst@juno.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
              Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

              In Service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              > Getting them to practices is almost impossible unless they are really into
              shooting. AT events that can support archery, however, we almost always
              have some kind of novelty shoot. We're known for sick twisted shoots and we
              make sure that even the worst arhcer gets some points. Everyone has a great
              time and they actually ask for archery at future events! Bottom line is
              make it as fun as possible by keep coming up with new wrinkles for them to
              shoot at.
              > Rupert

              You're a Rupert? Who let a Rupert in here? I thought this club was for
              enlisted personnel only!

              :)

              Njall

              Scott B. Jaqua
              ----------------------------
              The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
              other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
              but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                Konnichi wa tomodachi,
                As a nearly 26 year vet of heavy weapons fighting, I find I still will
                put on armor and whack people instead of let arrows fly...unless
                it is a two day event...and I love letting arrows fly...
                One can always shoot on sunday if one fought on saturday...
                Perhaps, you could split up an event, and make it into an over-all
                combatant type of event...
                A prize for the best fighter, a prize for the best archer, and a prize
                for the best combined archer/figher...
                Mabey have a "shooting while in armor" shoot...where the
                archers shoot in the armor they fight in...but use live bows and
                shoot at themed targets...
                Perhaps have the shooting portion before the fighting, in the
                morning, so fighters can arm up and whack things later...
                Perhaps have the local Baron or King (ask nicely) demand that
                archers take the field to repell the incroasion of their border, and
                have the fighters mopp up...
                Just ideas...
                Date
              • drosen105@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003

                  > Sorry, Rupert is out of period - the Prince was born in 1618.

                  At the risk of getting into another OT argument, Prince Rupert was not the first. The name as roots in Germany and the English "borrowed" it. The name is registered and has been approved by the College of Heralds. Please everyone, let this be the end of this thread. If you wish to debate further, contact me off list.
                  Rupert
                • eulenhorst@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Not intended as a slight, just a jab at a friend. I am certain the name is fully appropriate but I think the reference to a non-enlisted commander is what was meant in the post I repoied to. Please let me know how early the name appeared in Germany. Sometimes something like this opens a interesting line of information.

                    In Service to the dream
                    Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    eulenhorst@...

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Actually the Rupert comment I made was a from a Terry Pratchet book.
                      Something about all officers being named Rupert, or some such. So that was
                      the slang for officer. I think it's a British thing.

                      Njall

                      Scott B. Jaqua
                      -----------------------------
                      The most import right of all, is that of free speech. Without that, all your
                      other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say,
                      but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
                    • Guy Taylor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                        Personally, I think much can be done by making practices
                        interesting. The local group here only shoots royal rounds at the
                        twice monthly practice. While one individual strives to come up with
                        a simple novelty shoot for each practice, it's only a few minutes at
                        the end and he isn't always able to attend. Without trying to bring
                        up the whole "RR's are out of period" argument, I feel that many
                        people have stopped attending these practices simply because they are
                        boring, uninteresting, and don't challenge the mind or skills
                        sufficiently. I know that's one reason I no longer go.

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "roguenad2000" <nad@f...> wrote:
                        > Greetings Archers of the Known World. On this list I have seen
                        > wonderful advice on equipment, information on various shooting
                        > styles and marvelous suggestions for novelty shoots. Since there
                        is
                        > such a wealth of information and experience, I thought I would
                        offer
                        > up a question, and see what thoughts people had.
                        >
                        > What is the best way to stir up interest in Target Archery? It
                        > seems like every time I talk to people here locally they are
                        > interested, but when it comes down actually doing anything people
                        > just don't follow through.
                        >
                        > For example, we have approximately 30 authorized archers here in
                        > Starkhafn (according to the Kingdom's database), and I have seen
                        > less than 5 of them show up for any kind of archery practice.
                        >
                        > What is the best way to draw people in to archery? What's the best
                        > way to get people involved and keep them involved?
                        >
                        > Nad
                      • Guy Taylor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                          Sorry, forgot something...

                          Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                          idea. Re-cap what happened last time:

                          "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                          wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                          the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                          string making demonstration and invited interested archers to contact
                          him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                          board."

                          And mention next time:

                          "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                          circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for the
                          upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                          available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                          arrows."
                        • Carolus Eulenhorst
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2003
                            It helps to have a really upbeat Captain of archers who acts as a
                            cheerleader. Keep the kingdom informed of what is happening so
                            appropriate recognitions can be given. Work with the local archers to
                            make them feel part of the program and that their contributions are
                            needed and wanted. Try to get different people to help run shoots and
                            activities - this helps get new Range Marshals as well so no one person
                            gets loaded down.
                            Carolus

                            On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:01:49 -0000 "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@...>
                            writes:
                            > Sorry, forgot something...
                            >
                            > Notices in local kingdom and baronial email lists would be a good
                            > idea. Re-cap what happened last time:
                            >
                            > "We had 11 archers show up for the practice who participated in a
                            > wreath shoot. Said wreath was made of real holly and was donated by
                            >
                            > the Branch Braiding Guild. Lord Shoot 'da Bow also gave a Flemish
                            > string making demonstration and invited interested archers to
                            > contact
                            > him for follow up free lessons and assistance in making a string
                            > board."
                            >
                            > And mention next time:
                            >
                            > "The next practice will be in two weeks. We plan to do a
                            > circumfrence shoot and practice at long range in anticipation for
                            > the
                            > upcoming event. It is hoped that Lady Guilded Feather will be
                            > available to show us her collection of oriental ceremonial bamboo
                            > arrows."

                            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                          • mark s graves
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                              Talk archery up every chance you get-dance practice, demos, meetings,
                              fighting practice and local events. Have your herald annouce the times
                              and place of your shoots at local events. Show up at places with your
                              archery gear and talk about archery. Write a newsletter article on
                              archery for your group and barrony. If your group has a web site, make
                              sure archery information (where and when for practices are there). Print
                              flyers and bring them with you.....These are a few ideas that might
                              help......William Ross of Skye

                              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                            • la petite femme skunk fatale
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 6, 2003
                                As near as I can tell, before I joined our local practice group, archery was something the fencers
                                did while waiting for enough fencers to make a good melee to show up. This has the result that
                                most of our fencers "dabble" in archery, except for us rabid archers who "dabble" in fencing. In
                                order to solidify the relationship, we're trying the "tourney prizes" tack. For instance, at our
                                next fencing event on January 3 <insert shameless plug> A benefit for the Plattsburgh, NY
                                Salvation Army where we hold winter fencing practice </shameless plug>, there will be the usual
                                T-shirts, gear, bucklers, handmade-by-moi-parry-cloak, and a fabulous set of matched arrows (also
                                handmade by moi), as well as a set consisting of a brocade longbow sock, a pair of string keepers,
                                a spare longbow string, and a bow-hand protector, all handmade by moi. The idea being that fencers
                                who possess archery gear will be that much more likely to use it and thus become regular archers.
                                Besides, I just like to make stuff.

                                Oddly enough, a bow is the easiest thing to acquire out here. Every garage sale seems to have a
                                spiffy recurve they sold just before I got there.

                                If the archers stick around for feast at events, one very public prize you could award might be a
                                handful of arrows to the archer who lost or broke the most arrows that day. And a good gag prize
                                guaranteed to get people to remember your archery events might be the public awarding of something
                                silly but useful and highly visible like a longbow sock made to resemble Kermit the Frog, or
                                string keepers made to look like tribbles with eyes.

                                Another way I drum up interest in archery is by (for me) quietly (and I can hear those of you who
                                know me laughing) Making Stuff where people can see it at events. I plunk my unmistakable self
                                down with a pile of supplies and explain what I'm doing to anyone who wanders too close.

                                Cesira Blackwork della Ougley
                                a.k.a Cesira Ysabetta Meloria Diana Marilyn Webster da Chavallerio della Vale
                                a.k.a Bloody Bess Read
                                Archery MIT and author of the Prayers To St. Ougley
                                Shire of Coldwood, EK

                                =====

                                Snow fallen on snow,

                                and this evening, the full moon

                                of November

                                Basho

                                I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

                                Ikkyu

                                http://photos.yahoo.com/