Re: Another Bow merchant, thoughts?

  • roguenad2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      <crossbow@f...> wrote:
      > Anyone bought/dealt with these folks:
      > >www.stickbowworld.com

      Ah.. Bitter Root Bow shop. Yes, I have dealt with these folks on a
      number of occasions. The people are very helpful, and they ship very
      quickly. The bows they sell are good starter bows, and an even better
      place to start if you want to finish the bow yourself.

      There bows have a more "finished" look than the ones from
      woodbows.com, and comparing the 55# bows from Bitter Root and
      Woodbows.com, I think the ones from Bitter Root are a little more
      comfortable to shoot, have less hand shock, and a faster cast.

      Now, Mind you these are "flat bows" and not the D section "English
      Long bow" style bows that Woodbows.com sells.

      Now for the downside, the string that typically comes with the bows
      from Bitter Root is artificial Sinew, with tied loops. Its is not as
      nice as the Flemish string, and I normal replace the strings when I
      resell their bows. I also usually sand them, stain them, and varnish
      them as well.

      The less expensive ones are wood self bows, and you really need to
      warm them up properly before shooting them, or you WILL break them.
      I've done it. It wasn't fun, but it also wasn't an explosive break.
      It was my fault for not warming up the bow properly.

      Nad
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
        Konnichi wa, tomodachi...
        I made a nice tate ((sort of like a standing pavise for japanese
        archery) with my kamon and clan kamon painted on the front...
        It is aprox two and a half feet wide, and four feet tall...made of
        wood with a brace that allows free-standing...
        Do any of the marshals on this list mind if I bring it to the line and
        shoot from behind it?
        In period it was often stood in place, then advanced as the
        archer did...
        I have been in lines where the archers themselves advanced, as
        opposed to staying in one place and shooting at closer and
        closer targets...
        This would be ideal for one of those shoots...
        This would also be a proper way for one form of Japanese
        shooting...
        Another way would be for an arrow loader to advance the tate as
        the archer shot behind him...He would feed the arrows to the
        archer, then on command, advance the tate...as a non-shooter...
        Just curious...

        Date Saburou Yukiie,
        Yama Kaminari Ryu
        shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
        http://www.kabutographics.com
        kabuto@...