Re: Another Bow merchant, thoughts?

  • la petite femme skunk fatale
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      > Message: 7
      > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:46:14 -0500
      > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...>
      > Subject: Another Bow merchant, thoughts?
      >
      > Anyone bought/dealt with these folks:
      > >www.stickbowworld.com
      >

      > Someone asked me about them, as they have some VERY cheap prices ($65 for a
      > longbow) ... But I've never heard of them.
      >
      > Siegfried

      I've seen these bows at stickbow.com and on e-bay. They seem pretty basic - they don't even have a
      handle wrap, which is why I've not bought one.

      If you're looking for an inexpensive longbow, I got one from www.woodbows.com brand-new off of
      e-bay for about $20 less than the listed retail on the website, and I've been extremely happy with
      it. In fact, I've outgrown my Woodbows longbow and will be buying another one next Spring, while
      my 14-year-old daughter gleefully inherits my current bow. Woodbows makes very sweet longbows -
      they are deceptively light, springy and smooth, yet shoot very fast, and there's almost no hand
      shock. I've even managed to get 120 yards distance out of one of their 25# bows. I know another
      semi-local archer with one of their bows who is equally happy with his bow. We traded bows at an
      event just to see how consistent woodbows is with their product. The heavier-poundage bows are
      much easier to pull than either of my recurves with equal weight. Woodbows also ships their bows
      with a stringer, instructions, and a handmade flemish bowstring with pre-set nocking point.

      They often put new merchandise, especially the lighter-poundage bows, on e-bay. Here's a current
      auction:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643424475&category=20840

      Hope this helps,

      Cesira Blackwork
      Archery MIT
      Coldwood, EK

      =====

      Snow fallen on snow,

      and this evening, the full moon

      of November

      Basho

      I'll burn the books I carry in my bag, but how can I forget the verses written in my gut?

      Ikkyu

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • roguenad2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        <crossbow@f...> wrote:
        > Anyone bought/dealt with these folks:
        > >www.stickbowworld.com

        Ah.. Bitter Root Bow shop. Yes, I have dealt with these folks on a
        number of occasions. The people are very helpful, and they ship very
        quickly. The bows they sell are good starter bows, and an even better
        place to start if you want to finish the bow yourself.

        There bows have a more "finished" look than the ones from
        woodbows.com, and comparing the 55# bows from Bitter Root and
        Woodbows.com, I think the ones from Bitter Root are a little more
        comfortable to shoot, have less hand shock, and a faster cast.

        Now, Mind you these are "flat bows" and not the D section "English
        Long bow" style bows that Woodbows.com sells.

        Now for the downside, the string that typically comes with the bows
        from Bitter Root is artificial Sinew, with tied loops. Its is not as
        nice as the Flemish string, and I normal replace the strings when I
        resell their bows. I also usually sand them, stain them, and varnish
        them as well.

        The less expensive ones are wood self bows, and you really need to
        warm them up properly before shooting them, or you WILL break them.
        I've done it. It wasn't fun, but it also wasn't an explosive break.
        It was my fault for not warming up the bow properly.

        Nad
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
          Konnichi wa, tomodachi...
          I made a nice tate ((sort of like a standing pavise for japanese
          archery) with my kamon and clan kamon painted on the front...
          It is aprox two and a half feet wide, and four feet tall...made of
          wood with a brace that allows free-standing...
          Do any of the marshals on this list mind if I bring it to the line and
          shoot from behind it?
          In period it was often stood in place, then advanced as the
          archer did...
          I have been in lines where the archers themselves advanced, as
          opposed to staying in one place and shooting at closer and
          closer targets...
          This would be ideal for one of those shoots...
          This would also be a proper way for one form of Japanese
          shooting...
          Another way would be for an arrow loader to advance the tate as
          the archer shot behind him...He would feed the arrows to the
          archer, then on command, advance the tate...as a non-shooter...
          Just curious...

          Date Saburou Yukiie,
          Yama Kaminari Ryu
          shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
          http://www.kabutographics.com
          kabuto@...