Re: [SCA-Archery] Alumnium Recurve

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2003
      Yikes!
      I suppose that they would be allowed on the line as they are as
      "period" as fiberglass, but do yourself a real big favor and DON'T! The
      aluminum bows that were so prevailant in the 1950's were beastly things
      that had a tendency to fail dramatically and have a handshock that will
      not only lossen your teeth, but you might get a phone call from the
      people at Dr. Richter's telling you to "cut it out"!
      The aluminum and steel bows of 40 and 50 years ago were presented
      as the "new thing" and were expected to take the archery world by
      storm........but they stunk. They didn't shoot well, they were more
      prone to temperment than self bows, and thankfully they dissappeared as
      quickly as they arrived. They are collectable curiousities meant to hang
      on a wall with the steel "Indian recurves" and the New Guinea wall
      hanger longbows that occassionally show up on an SCA line.
      People occassionally try to re-invent the wheel, but we've found
      that round is still the best. Save yourself some heartache and get a
      serviceable bow with a good reputation and enjoy this great sport. Or
      buy one of these bows and display it in a shadowbox, but for God's sake
      don't do anything foolish like trying to shoot with it. ;)

      -Geoffrei
    • Beth Dobo
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi Nest,

        Here's some ideas that might work. We often do "follow me" - you shoot an
        arrow, the other archers try to come as close as possible to your arrow.
        Move your arrow all around the target, and make them shoot from
        the same position you were in when you shot. Do it while kneeling, sitting,
        standing on a plastic box.

        Another quick and easy shoot - draw 3 inch diameter circles on paper, fill
        in with different colors, put them in a random arrangement on the target or
        a box formation or a circle. Have them shoot the four corners, shoot the
        circles counterclockwise, clockwise. Call the colors out at random, the
        archers will have to adjust their aim quickly. Make the circles smaller to
        make it harder. We've also done tick tac toe archery - draw the board on a
        piece of cardboard, two archers on the line alternating shots, shoot until
        one gets three in a row or no more squares are open. We put balloons on the
        board, pop the balloon, you own the square.

        Fairly simple stuff, but fun.

        Elizabeth
        ------------------------
        Nothing's Forgotten, Nothing is Ever Forgotten
      • Rob A
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 19, 2003
          I actually HAVE one of these bows... as a "collectors piece"..
          its stamped with the name Hamquist or something like that on the leather
          handle, and the grip is bolted to the main bow instead of rivetted like this
          one appears.

          Mine is exactly #50 but is a complete terror to shoot, both from the
          shooter, and the spectators. Its loud, its uncomfortable, it has horrible
          hand shock... but..... its nice and fast and can cast an aluminum arrow
          (they HATE wooden arrows) quite a distance...

          anyhow.... TIP FROM AN OWNER.... if you want one of these... DONT shoot it

          RObert

[...]

        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
            Greetings everyone,

            The summer season is over here in the northern hemisphere, and in fact
            here in New England it is rapidly becoming very uncomfortable to shoot
            outside at all. I have an indoor range which goes up to 40 yards so I have
            been running practices for the last year which feature royal rounds. Now I
            like royal rounds for the beginners. I think it gives them a nice bench
            mark to compare themselves to from one week to the next so they can watch
            their improvement. However, they become boring for the more experienced
            archers, and don't do much to keep in practice for the unknown distance,
            novelty shoots of the summer.

            What I am looking for is some ideas for practices which will keep us sharp
            for the outdoor stuff. We do novelty shoots as often as I can get someone
            to run one, and then we tend to focus on short distances and small
            targets, two things I see often in tournaments around here. I have even
            had the line advance an unknown amount and stop and shoot, but the walls
            are clearly marked with distances so it is almost impossible not to know
            where you are. does anybody have any ideas?

            Nest

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Carl West
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
              Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:

              > ... I have even
              > had the line advance an unknown amount and stop and shoot, but the walls
              > are clearly marked with distances so it is almost impossible not to know
              > where you are. does anybody have any ideas?
              >
              > Nest

              Shoot diagonally. You don't get as many archers on the line, but unless they're really good at trigonometry, the distances are unknown.

              Targets at different heights.

              -- Fritz

              If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
              will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

              --
              Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

              If I had six hours to chop down a tree,
              I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.
              - Abraham Lincoln
            • Bruce R. Gordon
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
                Greetings
                You could try the Winter Challenge. It's a simple but subtle
                twenty-yard course specifically designed for indoor work, and tries to
                simulate to a degree longer-range outdoor shooting. Includes some non-
                FITA, period-type targets. I normally get very few scores from the East
                Kingdom, and would be delighted to see more representation from out
                your way.
                Rules are at http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html
                Current scores are at http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

                Cordialy;
                Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm Archer-General and Winter
                Challenge coordinator

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                Ex Tenebra, Lux

              • Nest verch Tangwistel
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
                  Thank you for the idea. Actually we already do the winter challenge a
                  couple time a year. On last years winter challenge 8 out of the 12
                  submissions were from my practices. I plan on doing them again this year.
                  They make a good mini-archery event for a Sunday. On Sunday we can use the
                  large room which only goes up to 20 yards, but has 15 stations. On the
                  other days we use the long room which is 40 yards long but only has 2
                  stations at 40 yards.

                  Before anyone brings them up we cannot do the captain general's challenge.
                  the part which puts 5 targets on the ground at random distances cannot be
                  done indoors, or at least I have not figured out how to do it. The 4 inch
                  X 4 inch blocks of foam can't be held in place on a wood floor, and the
                  establichment doesn't want us shooting at the floor anyway.

                  Nest

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
                    Unfortunately the lanes we use are so narrow it barely makes a difference.
                    Lets see, the individual lanes are 18 inches wide and there are 6 of them.
                    So the room is only about 10 feet wide, and 40 yards long. Good try
                    though.

                    Nest

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 20, 2003
                      On Sundays then, in the 20 yard room.

                      Stuff for the 40 yard room:

                      Potted 'plants' in the way of shots.

                      Roving-range-type shots.

                      Targets that aren't against the back wall.

                      Can you hang targets from the ceiling? A plastic grocery bag stuffed firmly-full of other plastic bags then tied off and stuffed into and tied off successively in about ten more bags makes a great arrow stopper and it'll move when hit.

                      Can you alter the lighting?

                      Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:

                      > Unfortunately the lanes we use are so narrow it barely makes a difference.
                      > Lets see, the individual lanes are 18 inches wide and there are 6 of them.
                      > So the room is only about 10 feet wide, and 40 yards long. Good try
                      > though.
                      >
                      > Nest
                      > --- Carl West <carl.west@...> wrote:

                      > > Shoot diagonally. You don't get as many archers on the line, but unless
                      > > they're really good at trigonometry, the distances are unknown.

                      --

                      If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
                      will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

                      --
                      Carl West carlDOTwest@... http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

                      If I had six hours to chop down a tree,
                      I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.
                      - Abraham Lincoln
                    • L.J. Sparvero
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 21, 2003
                        At 06:24 PM 11/20/2003, you wrote:
                        >....Now I
                        >like royal rounds for the beginners. I think it gives them a nice bench
                        >mark to compare themselves to from one week to the next so they can watch
                        >their improvement. However, they become boring for the more experienced
                        >archers, and don't do much to keep in practice for the unknown distance,
                        >novelty shoots of the summer.
                        >Nest

                        I agree wholeheartedly on all your points. Several others gave good
                        suggestions already, I'd mention some sort of friend-foe target as another
                        possibility. I haven't been able to find an example of this shoot in
                        described in archery tournaments of the time other than the recounts of the
                        William Tell legend. But it's a fun shoot, and tends to appear in various
                        forms in SCA tournaments.

                        Targets that are irregularly sized or partially obscured make good practice
                        for woods shoots. Take whatever target your archers like to shoot, and
                        black out a good chunk of it with a marker (representing that annoying tree
                        branch that's just in your way, between you and that prize stag).

                        Best of luck! -Lyev
                      • Nest verch Tangwistel
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 21, 2003
                          > I agree wholeheartedly on all your points. Several others gave good
                          > suggestions already, I'd mention some sort of friend-foe target as
                          > another
                          > possibility. I haven't been able to find an example of this shoot in
                          > described in archery tournaments of the time other than the recounts of
                          > the
                          > William Tell legend. But it's a fun shoot, and tends to appear in
                          > various
                          > forms in SCA tournaments.

                          Thank you. The only example of a foe shoot in period is a payment to one
                          person in England to paint "Arabs" on the archery target butts. Right now
                          I don't have that reference though.

                          > Targets that are irregularly sized or partially obscured make good
                          > practice
                          > for woods shoots. Take whatever target your archers like to shoot, and
                          > black out a good chunk of it with a marker (representing that annoying
                          > tree
                          > branch that's just in your way, between you and that prize stag).
                          >
                          > Best of luck! -Lyev

                          I like these ideas. The lanes we shoot at has fake Xmas trees, and other
                          brush left over from a now defunct indoor 3-D range. I should be able to
                          set up a minimal 3-D type shoot.

                          Nest

                          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                        • Kinjal of Moravia
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 23, 2003
                            The only example of a foe shoot in period is a payment to one
                            > person in England to paint "Arabs" on the archery target butts.

                            as posted before, you are only looking at 'Western-Central Europe' -
                            'foe' shoots were common in Eastern Europe because of Mongolian
                            influence where 'live' opponents were part of the shoot, even
                            holding targets to be shot at, or deflecting shots at a friend with
                            a small shield.

                            not suggesting that we do such things, of course...

                            Kinjal
                          • John Edgerton
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 23, 2003
                              Could you post your sources for that information. I would like to add
                              it as background for the rules to my "Bow and Buckler" competition in
                              which the target is the small buckler your partner is holding. And
                              before anyone gets all excited again, it is shot with combat blunts
                              while the buckler holder is wearing combat gear. The rules for the
                              competition are in the files for this group.

                              Kinjal ... have you settled in after your move?

                              Jon

                              Kinjal of Moravia wrote:

                              > The only example of a foe shoot in period is a payment to one
                              >
                              >>person in England to paint "Arabs" on the archery target butts.
                              >>

                              >as posted before, you are only looking at 'Western-Central Europe' -
                              > 'foe' shoots were common in Eastern Europe because of Mongolian
                              >influence where 'live' opponents were part of the shoot, even
                              >holding targets to be shot at, or deflecting shots at a friend with
                              >a small shield.
                              >
                              >not suggesting that we do such things, of course...
                              >
                              >Kinjal

                            • John R. Edgerton
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 23, 2003
                                A correction to my post. The rules are in the files for the sca
                                missile combat group, I do not have them in the files here. Although
                                it is more of a target shoot than combat.

                                Jon