Re: Flirtmeister

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2000
      Greetings:

      Great pickup line, except that as far as I know, "Letting the cat out of
      the bag" is a naval phrase referring to having screwed up in some
      fashion, thus causing the 'bosun to have to go get the cat (O nine
      tails) out of his seabag, and flog your soon to be scarred hide.

      Shipboard dicipline in the age of sail was *not* to be sneezed at.
      American ships in particular were infamous for the savagery with which
      it was administered.

      You know, the more I know about the middle ages (or later), the more I
      like the 20th century. (Or later) The middle ages may be fun to visit,
      but I'd *hate* to live there.

      Cheers-
      Alberic
    • D Humberson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
        Not to mention the joys of flush toilets, hot showers, and B-50 Dacron!

        Ragnar Ketilsson

        >From: Alberic <alberic@...>
        >To: SCA-Archery@onelist.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Flirtmeister
        >Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:57:03 -0800
        >
        >Greetings:
        >
        >Great pickup line, except that as far as I know, "Letting the cat out of
        >the bag" is a naval phrase referring to having screwed up in some
        >fashion, thus causing the 'bosun to have to go get the cat (O nine
        >tails) out of his seabag, and flog your soon to be scarred hide.
        >
        >Shipboard dicipline in the age of sail was *not* to be sneezed at.
        >American ships in particular were infamous for the savagery with which
        >it was administered.
        >
        >You know, the more I know about the middle ages (or later), the more I
        >like the 20th century. (Or later) The middle ages may be fun to visit,
        >but I'd *hate* to live there.
        >
        >Cheers-
        >Alberic

      • Susan Kell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
          And penicillin...
          and dental care...
          My lord and I do an annual school demo for some 5th graders, and we often
          start by asking "how many of you would like to live in the Middle Ages?".
          Of course, most of the hands go up. They get lowered in waves as we
          describe more and more of what life was like back then!
          -- Ygraine

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2000
            Meow

            Pandora