Re: [SCA-Archery] Newbie info needed (Akron, OH)

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      Try checking out 3 Rivers Archery online at
      http://www.3riversarchery.com/. Their address is
      3Rivers Archery
      PO Box 517
      Ashley IN 46705
      Also check the Middle Kingdom web site at www.midrealm.org and look for
      archery info or your local group and get in touch with the local archery
      officer.
      Carolus

      On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:03:49 -0500 "Gary Lawrence" <glawrence@...>
      writes:

      snip
      > I'm in Akron, OH (Middle Kingdom)
      > a friend recently introduced to the SCA and I thought Archery would
      > be
      > cool. I've looked around a few places in town and everyone caters to
      > the
      > compound hunting crowd.

      snip
      > Thanks for the heads up and tip
      >
      > Gary Lawrence

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
        <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
        > Second, Don't try pulling an old
        > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then
        gradually warm
        > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the
        point
        > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or
        two
        > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do
        this
        > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure.
        Be sure
        > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact
        sport use
        > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe
        shoes. An
        > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's
        pull is
        > with your local marshal or pro shop.
        > Carolus

        Good advice and I will add the following tips from the Bowyer's
        Bible.

        Check the bow out carefully. If you are in SCA, a marshall can
        check out your bow. You are looking for cracks or other signs of
        damage. Careful, though, a lot of lemonwood bows can look fine
        and still blow up at first draw.

        Next, string the bow to a low brace height 5" to 6" and just let it sit
        for six to eight hours. Do this for 4 to 5 days before even
        attempting to pull it. Finally do some partial pulls to warm up the
        bow and then follow Carolus advice.

        And, if you have never strung it yet, the bow can blow up on
        stringing it if it has severely dried out. So be careful right from
        the get go.

        James