Re: [SCA-Archery] Newbie info needed (Akron, OH)

  • Gary Lawrence
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      > First off is where is "around here"?

      I'm in Akron, OH (Middle Kingdom)
      a friend recently introduced to the SCA and I thought Archery would be
      cool. I've looked around a few places in town and everyone caters to the
      compound hunting crowd.

      >Second, Don't try pulling an old
      > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then gradually warm
      > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the point
      > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or two
      > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do this
      > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure. Be sure
      > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact sport use
      > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe shoes. An
      > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's pull is
      > with your local marshal or pro shop.
      > Carolus

      Thanks for the heads up and tip

      Gary Lawrence
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        Try checking out 3 Rivers Archery online at
        http://www.3riversarchery.com/. Their address is
        3Rivers Archery
        PO Box 517
        Ashley IN 46705
        Also check the Middle Kingdom web site at www.midrealm.org and look for
        archery info or your local group and get in touch with the local archery
        officer.
        Carolus

        On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:03:49 -0500 "Gary Lawrence" <glawrence@...>
        writes:

        snip
        > I'm in Akron, OH (Middle Kingdom)
        > a friend recently introduced to the SCA and I thought Archery would
        > be
        > cool. I've looked around a few places in town and everyone caters to
        > the
        > compound hunting crowd.

        snip
        > Thanks for the heads up and tip
        >
        > Gary Lawrence

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
          <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
          > Second, Don't try pulling an old
          > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then
          gradually warm
          > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the
          point
          > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or
          two
          > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do
          this
          > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure.
          Be sure
          > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact
          sport use
          > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe
          shoes. An
          > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's
          pull is
          > with your local marshal or pro shop.
          > Carolus

          Good advice and I will add the following tips from the Bowyer's
          Bible.

          Check the bow out carefully. If you are in SCA, a marshall can
          check out your bow. You are looking for cracks or other signs of
          damage. Careful, though, a lot of lemonwood bows can look fine
          and still blow up at first draw.

          Next, string the bow to a low brace height 5" to 6" and just let it sit
          for six to eight hours. Do this for 4 to 5 days before even
          attempting to pull it. Finally do some partial pulls to warm up the
          bow and then follow Carolus advice.

          And, if you have never strung it yet, the bow can blow up on
          stringing it if it has severely dried out. So be careful right from
          the get go.

          James