Newbie info needed (Akron, OH)

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      Where is a good place to get traditional supplies and practice around
      here?
      also how can I determine my bow's pull weight ( unmarked wood longbow
      found in aunts basement)

      Gary Lawrence
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
        First off is where is "around here"? Second, Don't try pulling an old
        wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then gradually warm
        it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the point
        where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or two
        further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do this
        slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure. Be sure
        to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact sport use
        and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe shoes. An
        exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's pull is
        with your local marshal or pro shop.
        Carolus

        On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:13:59 -0000 "Gary" <glawrence@...> writes:
        > Where is a good place to get traditional supplies and practice
        > around
        > here?
        > also how can I determine my bow's pull weight ( unmarked wood
        > longbow
        > found in aunts basement)
        >
        > Gary Lawrence

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Gary Lawrence
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
          > First off is where is "around here"?

          I'm in Akron, OH (Middle Kingdom)
          a friend recently introduced to the SCA and I thought Archery would be
          cool. I've looked around a few places in town and everyone caters to the
          compound hunting crowd.

          >Second, Don't try pulling an old
          > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then gradually warm
          > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the point
          > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or two
          > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do this
          > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure. Be sure
          > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact sport use
          > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe shoes. An
          > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's pull is
          > with your local marshal or pro shop.
          > Carolus

          Thanks for the heads up and tip

          Gary Lawrence
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
            Try checking out 3 Rivers Archery online at
            http://www.3riversarchery.com/. Their address is
            3Rivers Archery
            PO Box 517
            Ashley IN 46705
            Also check the Middle Kingdom web site at www.midrealm.org and look for
            archery info or your local group and get in touch with the local archery
            officer.
            Carolus

            On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:03:49 -0500 "Gary Lawrence" <glawrence@...>
            writes:

            snip
            > I'm in Akron, OH (Middle Kingdom)
            > a friend recently introduced to the SCA and I thought Archery would
            > be
            > cool. I've looked around a few places in town and everyone caters to
            > the
            > compound hunting crowd.

            snip
            > Thanks for the heads up and tip
            >
            > Gary Lawrence

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
              <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
              > Second, Don't try pulling an old
              > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then
              gradually warm
              > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the
              point
              > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or
              two
              > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do
              this
              > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure.
              Be sure
              > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact
              sport use
              > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe
              shoes. An
              > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's
              pull is
              > with your local marshal or pro shop.
              > Carolus

              Good advice and I will add the following tips from the Bowyer's
              Bible.

              Check the bow out carefully. If you are in SCA, a marshall can
              check out your bow. You are looking for cracks or other signs of
              damage. Careful, though, a lot of lemonwood bows can look fine
              and still blow up at first draw.

              Next, string the bow to a low brace height 5" to 6" and just let it sit
              for six to eight hours. Do this for 4 to 5 days before even
              attempting to pull it. Finally do some partial pulls to warm up the
              bow and then follow Carolus advice.

              And, if you have never strung it yet, the bow can blow up on
              stringing it if it has severely dried out. So be careful right from
              the get go.

              James